Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Maryland HID install pics 1/29/05!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:07 PM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know the only way to really get them the same is to install HIDs in the high beams as well. I think Kelly did that.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
Thanks for checking on this. Please let me know what you find out.

Joe, I am a bit concerned about all that hardware and another $250 to boot. :lol:
Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 PM
dpkoby
Advanced

mnmblu,
The sales rep at Automation was not really helpful and couldn't give me any feedback as to the color/brightness of the various high performance bulbs. Doing a search it seems that the Silverstars have pretty good feedback except for markedly shorter bulb life. Silverstars are about $40 and the PIAA Xtras are $50. I'll se what I can find about these PIAA bulbs on the web.
Dave
Old 08-12-2005, 08:33 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

MnM

THere's also two other explanations for the difference.

1) The HID's take a little time to "warm up" and get to the right "color temperature" of 4300K

2) Silverstars sold in the US are 4100K and have a slight blue filtering added to them - why I don't know... I saw a link explaining things one time and can't find it now.

That picture was probably taken before the HID's got "warm" and were outputting the "right" shade of white light.

The higher the color temperature of the light, the more "blue" it should look, so that photo is off anyway, as the Silverstars look "bluer" than the HID's.

It's also interesting to note that Euro versions of Silverstars do not have the blue "tinge" to the glass. I'll show you a set tomorrow so you can see the difference!

Oh, and while I think about it... you never have both low and high beams on at the same time (unless you pull back and hold onto the "flash" setting on the stalk). You'd probably never really notice when things are warmed up.

I'm sure others will chime in with their "actual" real life experiences.

Cheers,

Clive.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:40 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Dave, thanks would be great for everybody to kinda know what is the best combination.

Clive, lot of variables there. An analytical mind for sure. Interesting about the beams. I guess there will never be a need for high beams again since they are so crappy to begin with.
So since we are putting them on as low beams, it vitually renders our high beams moot, right?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:45 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Yep!

I think more that one person has said they've not used high beams since putting in HID's...

Except Kelly, who has to avoid more deer per mile than anyone else (IIRC)

Clive.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, deer!!

I have them in the hi light position as I drive a mountain road at night with no lighting except what nature provides and what I bring. I use my hi lights... a lot!! You need to figure your own needs and if you use your low lights more, put them there. The majority of city folk don't have use for hi lights. Us country folk need to watch out for deer, cows, wild boars, owls, turkeys, pheasants, dogs, cats... not to mention numnuts that ride down the mountain at midnight on their bicycles... with no lights!!!!

Right now I only have one set of HIDs in the hi light position. I am seriously considering a second set.. I like them that much... you will, too. BTW, $500 for a full set of HIDs? Compared to kits from auto manufacturers, that's a bargain.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Kelly,
That's interesting. I was driving Mleds car on Mulholland the other night, he put them in the high beam position too. I think that's when you really need the extra candle power, when you are rippin throught the mountains. Which makes me think that if the highs and lows work independently... what's the difference? Is it just that the high beams reflect differently with the different mirror setup within the light or are they just targeted just a bit higher or what? Not sure how this works.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:33 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alan,

On our cars, when the hi lights are on, both hi and low light bulbs are lit. If I had HIDs in both positions, I'd really light up the night sky coming down that mountain. I know having them in the hi light position is not the best as the reflector is set up for a different pattern for a halogen bulb, but it works for me. There is no comparison between the lighting from a Hid system and a halogen bulb. No matter what position you end up installing them in, you will be happy. Good luck w/ the install and enjoy the new found candlepower.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Kelly,
I always thought they worked independetly. It seems the only time they work together is when I hold the lever back manually. As in, brights are on then pull back the lever, like when flashing, and they get brighter.
So... what's up with that?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:43 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go turn on your hi lights and check which bulbs are on in your headlight. You better have both on or something is wrong w/ either your car or mine.

edit... you have your highlights on and you flash other people??? what's up w/ that?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:11 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Well, I noticed that when I need a bit more light when the high beams were on, I could pull back on the lever and get more light. I figured the only place the extra light could come from was the low beams. Therefore, they must work independently eh?

Kelly, funny about the flash thing. That used to be standard procedure between passing 911 owners back in the 70's. I guess that was before leases and the suits that started drivin em.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:23 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you go and check your lights yet?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:43 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Originally Posted by kkim
Did you go and check your lights yet?
OK you are right! When the high beams are on they both are lit.

However, when lever is set and fixed to high beams it doesn't seem as bright as when I just pull back in Flash mode. Strange.

Which brings up my next thought. If they are both lit when high beam is activated why would you install the HIDS as high beams? Wouldn't you want the advantage of HID as low beams and have them lit with the high beam activated too. That way they are always illuminating... low and high. It would seem the only time you are enjoying their illuminating qualities is when you high beams are on. Does that make sense?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:13 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your logic is correct if you rarely drive using the hi lights. When I work nights, the hi lights are on for about 50% of my trip.

Also, the low lights have a cutoff which only lets them throw the light so far down the road. Yes, it's brighter light, but illuminates the immediate ground in front of you. With the HIDs in the hi light position, the light is able to throw itself as far down the road as it's capable of and from my experience, that's quite impressive compared to what the halogens were capable of... and I was using 100w halogens to boot.

My needs were to be able to see as far down the road as possible, to be able to come to a safe stop, if needed, from some pretty decent speeds at night. I'm really happy having them in the hi, though your needs may differ. The good thing is, if you would like to experiment, the bulbs can be switched between the high and low sockets as both hi and low lights use the same H1 bulb.

Quick Reply: Maryland HID install pics 1/29/05!