993 Forum 1995-1998

Maryland HID install pics 1/29/05!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:00 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
Good news, had a buyer before they arrived - another Rennlister, of course. They arrived Friday, I shipped them out Monday. I sent him two of the female spade connectors you gave me so he should be all set for those ground wire connections.
Bad news, factory litronics arrived Friday. One light was damaged in shipping (reflector shifted about 1/2" off center, glass leveling tube broken) so I'm working with LA Dismantlers to fix that issue. Plus, I have to wire in the line to the ballast which is cut off with about an 8" lead, and some pins need to changed around in those connectors on the assembly. Seems to require removing at least one wheel and the fender liner. This will make yours look even easier than it was and with the cold, it'll probably wait for awhile. Of course, I've got to get LA Dismantlers to fix that other assembly before I can even think about the upgrade.
OT, I'll have to attach some pictures of my cats tonight!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 437 Posts

Joe - sorry to hear about the Litronics debacle. I guess my motto for DIY items holds true for your situation too... "it's always something" (making it harder to complete the DIY than initially suspected )

Oh well - that's life. The good and the bad. In the end, you'll get it all sorted out I'm sure.

Mocha agrees!

Steve
Old 02-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Steve, Congratulations! Looks awesome. Now you'll have the cat's eyes at night
Old 02-03-2005, 01:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Carrera Mike. BTW, wow - you sold your 993 for a 996... how's that going for you? I loved your 993, but speed yellow had become my favorite 993-996 color, though I'd never be brave enough to buy this color myself! It's the perfect color for your new car. What does your friends and family think of the 996? Do they like it alot more? Are you head over heals in love with the 996, or kind of missing the look of your "antiquated 993" ?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks Carrera Mike. BTW, wow - you sold your 993 for a 996... how's that going for you? I loved your 993, but speed yellow had become my favorite 993-996 color, though I'd never be brave enough to buy this color myself! It's the perfect color for your new car. What does your friends and family think of the 996? Do they like it alot more? Are you head over heals in love with the 996, or kind of missing the look of your "antiquated 993" ?Cheers,
Steve
Yes, the 993 will be picked up today by the new owner YES, I am head over heels on this 02 model, specially being in speed yellow BUT I can not elaborate any further than that in this board... I'll be killed
"The air-cooled gods are angry."

We have KDURG down here who did that HID upgrade too on his Arena Red C4S... his car looks awesome when he's behind me everytime we go thru the tunnel with those things on!

Hope to make it up there to DC during one of your fun drives and meet all of you.. Mark of Baltimore, Rick Lee, Vevo and everyone else. or maybe at VIR

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 04-12-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Glad you're happy with it, Mike, and yes, I hope to meet you one day for the spring fun run/ "Meet and Drive" here in the DC metro area... It'll be hard to miss you amongst our more pedestrian cars (boring silvers and blacks ) I can talk to you more in person about your 320 hp beauty so we don't upset the 993 devotees. Don't want to stir THAT pot too much!

Regards,
Steve R
Old 04-12-2005, 06:10 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Is Joe willing to lend another cat person a hand in doing this sometime.......I live in Rockville and sold my 968 to Marshall who I think you know.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:53 PM
solsrch
Pro

Let me know when you are shooting for and I'll see if I can sneak up there. I've been so busy lately I still don't have my own Litronics installed, or my other Spring projects. On the other hand, I've actually got a little experience this time. Steve was good enough to trust me. Never even had the headlights out before but we went slow and managed to get there in the end.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:28 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Joe
Thanks for the offer, not sure when yet....my CEL has just started to light up and since the car is new in MD I may have to sort that first...the mechanic that looked at the code says it is the SAI pump and that the part is $800 plus $400 labor so I might put lights on hold for time being.

David
Old 04-14-2005, 09:43 AM
solsrch
Pro

David,
Understood. The whole CEL light / SAI thing is a bit scary, as you can tell from all the posts on that subject. I'm not going anywhere, actually my schedule will get a lot better starting in July.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:36 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

What was the specific code?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:32 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Kelly
I dont have the specific code as it was read by the mech in the garage and not by me....he said it was the SAI pump and that it needed replacing...incidentally having reset the CEL it came back on again within 100 miles.....this is a new car to me and a little frustrating but hell its a great car...any advide welcome
Old 04-15-2005, 05:34 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

Go buy a cheap OBD2 reader that also can clear the code. They are less than $100 for the simple ones. Read the code, reset it, then when the CEL comes back on, see if it's the same code that it's throwing. Without knowing what code it's hard for any of us to help you with your problem. Having your own reader also takes the hassle of out of going down to the dealer and being at their mercy.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:49 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to read it before our group install this weekend.

I came across your Siamese picture and though it was a great pic with the backlighting. It just need a little cropping and adjustments to make it a great shot. Couldn't help myself! Thought I would share it with you guys.

Very nice shot Chris.

p.s. I am a bit concerned as to how those silver star high beams look with the HID low beams. Not sure I like the different hues they present. What is the solution, if any, to get them to look similar?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:37 PM
dpkoby
Advanced

mnmblu,
Likewise I am not sure I like the idea of blue tinged pseudo-xenon lights. I thought that silverstars were bright white but apparently not. Automotions also has PIAA Xtra bulbs which they describe as "projecting the power of PIAA superwhite bulbs without the attention-grabbing blue white color". These may be a better option. I will call to see if these are in stock.
Dave

Quick Reply: Maryland HID install pics 1/29/05!