Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What is the SLOOOOOWEST car you've ever driven?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 01:06 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Thomas,

That's a beautiful looking Beetle. A forty-years old car. I wish I age as gracefully.

CP
Old 01-31-2005, 02:16 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

For me, I must say the 1960 Beetle I drove while in college was probably the slowest as that era Beetle was geared really low. This is how I learned the art of drafting I would draft 18 wheelers on the way home while on the freeway.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:50 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a close run thing between my mum's Datsun Cherry (a horrid plastic thing that refused to die; changing gear merely meant a different engine whine) and a friends knackered 850cc Renault Five which we drove to the south of France. It would cruise at about 45/50 on the auto route. Any higher speed brought about an almighty wheel wobble. Needless to say on the way back (knowing that we had breakdown recovery) we thrashed the guts out of it figuring that we would get back home quicker and more comfortably on the back of a recovery lorry. You can guess how pissed off we were when we found that the wheel wobble was only in a five mph range and that it could actually do about 70/75! Happy memories (almost as happy as spending a day in a French autoroute rest stop trying to smuggle out and dump a tank full of diesel that my idiot friend had put in his car...

Cheers,

David
Old 01-31-2005, 10:57 AM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1964 Rambler. Had a very early version of cruise control. If you floored it the pedal would stick and had to be lifted from the floor by your foot.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:58 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a 993 clutch...
Old 01-31-2005, 11:37 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tsky
Wow, same story for me: the slowest car I ever drove is my dad's '65 VW. He loaned it to me when my 914 broke down a few days before I was to leave for college in 1986. It was and is all original and in beautiful shape. But, it couldn't do much faster than 55 on the highway (which was the speed limit on the highway back then).

He just recently pulled it out of storage, put new tires and brakes on it and drives it around town.
How funny! That looks just like mine - same color! Ha!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

My mom's '68 Beetle is the slowest car I've ever driven by far. She got it when she first moved here to the States from Germany in 1974, and she still has it to this day. Red with black interior.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:06 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My grandpa's 19?? Chevette (the year is irrelevant). He towed it behind his motor home for years. I don't know if the thing could go 60 mph, but I didn't want to be the one to take it there. The noise alone was a powerful deterrent to accumulating velocity (one cannot say that the car "accelerated"). Even my ever-thrifty grandpa knew what he had; he (in concert with probably thousands of other owners) dubbed it the "Shove-it."
Old 01-31-2005, 02:56 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I learned to drive in a old 50's Crosley wagon and a 1960 Bug eye sprite. The Crosley was the size of a shoe box and mostly made out of wood. Wouldnt get out of its own way. Had a racing style steering wheel. it was press fit on the shaft and occasionaly come off in your hand. Made up for the excitement where the speed left off! Sure wish I had that Bug Eye Sprite today. See them at autocrosses and they sure look fun.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:55 PM
billatlanta
Racer

This maybe elsewhere in this thread - but a Mercedes 1983 240D with an automatic. An almost 4000 lb car with 60 hp. The diesel is not turocharged like the later 5 cylinder. From the factory 0-62 mph in 21 seconds! I still have this car. I would venture that with A/C on it is 24 seconds to hit 62 mph. Great car, and you learn how to drive it to make up for the HP.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:18 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i find it interesting that this post has exposed a lot of stories about first cars, engine build/re-build with dads, etc... starts to hint at where some of the car enthusiast genes first started...

mine was a 1981 toyota tercel ... red with an orange door. 215k miles on the clock when i bought it for $500. Sold it for $700 a couple years later...

next was a 1970 olds cutlass with rocket 350/4 barrel rochester quadrajet... my dad and i rebuilt the car and engine from scratch... it was faster than the toyota.. :-)
Old 01-31-2005, 05:21 PM
SteveL1
Instructor

Mine was a '72 VW Beetle "Automatic" that was my wife's when we got married in '75. It was horribly slow and I tried to make it feel a little faster by pulling the shift lever to the side which would pop the gear in to neutral until you let go. Kinda like side stepping a clutch I suppose. Nah, it didn't help a bit.

Oh, and the frost on the inside of the windshield in the winter!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:41 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i find it interesting that this post has exposed a lot of stories about first cars, engine build/re-build with dads, etc...
Jonathan,

I was taking a walk with my wife, talking about my wrecked M5, and how fast cars get us in trouble. I then mentioned my good old Ford Fairlane, how slow it was, and a smile came to my face. Some how, car nostalgia and memories tend to be the sweetest and warmest kind. We talk a lot about the technical and performance aspects of our cars, but the cars (like pets) we remember the most are the ones we connect the most. Quite often, those are our early and most treasured possessions.

I thought then I'd start this thread so more of us can remember the 'Good Ole Days'. Seems to work thus far.

I really enjoy reading these posts. Some are down right hysterical. However, the fondness sentiment never fails to come through.

Thanks all for sharing.

CP
Old 01-31-2005, 08:52 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

1984 Ford Ranger Diesel (2.2ltr izuzu motor). Always enjoyed leaving the black cloud of death behind when I put the pedal to the floor, which had no impact on my speed but always a joy to watch car try to avoid it. Only car I ever drove that wind direction and speed made a major impact on my speed.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was my all time beater.
'85 Nissan Sentra boasting 69 hp.
It was given to me by an ex-girlfriend to drive while I rebuilt the motor in my old SC Targa.

It did not take long for me and my roomates to ..."customize" it just a tad to poke fun at the local Civic crowd.

Complete with hand made rear wing (actually adjustable)
Faux NOS (fire extinguisher) bottle
Hood scoop (SS Trashcan found at the recycling center)
Real Foldgers Exhaust system
And, of course, fake cell phone antenna
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: What is the SLOOOOOWEST car you've ever driven?