Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

carbon buildup & extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:15 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So do you add the tranny fluid right after the air filter?

In the carb systems, I used to just pour ot down the throat. On these fuel injection systems, I simply disconnect one of the vacuum hoses and let the hose suck the fluid out of the container. No mess and no having to take anything apart. It doesn't have to be ATF, but any oil or fluid that is compressable. Water is not and that is why you put it into the system very slowly. I use the same vaccum line method for the water cleaning, but the vacuum line is reduced with a 1/8 line.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:35 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by WCS
I'd imagine the error codes history in the ECU should still be recorded, and I should be able to get a PPI to find out. In this respect, buying from a private owner may be safer than from a dealer.
Buying from a dealer or private owner won't make much of difference, all they need to do is disconnect the battery. When you have the PPI performed have them check that ALL readiness codes/flags are set. Normally they will just scan for errors and then 90 miles after you've bought a 993 your CEL illuminates with the SAI warning.

Originally Posted by FisterD
So do you add the tranny fluid right after the air filter?
Do not add any oils (ATF) upstream of your MAF (i.e. "after the air filter"), you will contaminate the sensor and ruin it.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:39 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Do not add any oils (ATF) upstream of your MAF (i.e. "after the air filter"), you will contaminate the sensor and ruin it.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure if I going to try this just yet, but it sounds like it couldn't hurt.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:25 AM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno if I'd try the ATF thing on these OBD2 993's, awfully sensitive beasts. This reminds me of my old 81 RX7 - had a carb problem that caused bad flooding. Fixed the carb problem, but the oils that lubricate the seals of the internal rotors had been washed away by the excess gas. Solution? ATF right down in the carb - turn key, crank gurgle crank baroom - but boy oh boy get ready for the smoke. I'm talking mushroom cloud here!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:00 AM
WCS
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Buying from a dealer or private owner won't make much of difference, all they need to do is disconnect the battery. When you have the PPI performed have them check that ALL readiness codes/flags are set. Normally they will just scan for errors and then 90 miles after you've bought a 993 your CEL illuminates with the SAI warning.
Hm, so following the same logic, anyone could disconnect the battery before emission test, and since carbon buildup isn't a real performance problem, that'll work just fine, huh?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:55 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

No, when the CEL is reset, the readiness codes of your OBD will also be cleared. Until these re-establish themselves , you can not pass smog.These codes can take quite a few miles to reset themselves, usually the error code will reappear by that time.That's why it's hard to get a smog check when you have the CEL SAI error. You can't just reset it and then pass a smog check.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey FisterD-

Nice car and nice WHEELS.

Interesting string. My car had its ports cleaned just before my purchase at a cost of about $1,000 (dealer).

It has since passed emmissions in CA and AZ. To maintain I run Chevron gas and get those revs high when driving.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjconner
Hey FisterD-

Nice car and nice WHEELS.

Interesting string. My car had its ports cleaned just before my purchase at a cost of about $1,000 (dealer).

It has since passed emmissions in CA and AZ. To maintain I run Chevron gas and get those revs high when driving.
Yes, same to you (Nice car and wheels)!
They cleaned my ports, passed smog, and I too run Chevron gas, and constantly touch the crimson line, while driving. I do not need another smog check for a year (bi-annual in Cali). So hopefully, everything will still be good by then.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WCS
I am looking to purchase a 993. It seems that some cars I've looked at have had their engine top end rebuilt because of carbon buildup. How many of you have experienced the problem?

Also because of potential costly repairs, I'm thinking of purchasing 3rd party warranty. Any thoughts/comments on where to go to?

Thanks.
My extended warranty did not cover carbon build-up. Mine is 3rd Party, not from Porsche.

I think you would be better off getting a mechanically sound car rather than expecting a warranty to cover repairs. You may be out of luck when it comes to them paying for the repair. All they have to do is say no, for whatever reason, and then you are stuck with either suing them at your cost, or paying for the repair yourself. So the peace of mind from the warranty is not assured.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:54 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't it against the law tro sell a car that will not pass emission testing?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:00 PM
tdg
Track Day

Adrienne, what kind of warranty do you have?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Isn't it against the law tro sell a car that will not pass emission testing?
Excellent point.

I think Porsche NA has dealt with this issue a little differently, as some owners have tried to claim the repair under the emissions warranty (I think that's through 100k on our cars?). I'm not sure of the exact reasoning, but if a 993 is not passing emissions due to carbon build up, Porsche NA will not cover the cost to repair it under the Emissions regulations. If you look at the technical section of PCA, Joel Reiser covers the issue fairly well.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tdg
Adrienne, what kind of warranty do you have?
Check your PM.

Quick Reply: carbon buildup & extended warranty