Sponsored by:

Aftermarket alarm blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 03:32 AM
hstanley70
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket alarm blues

Hi all. Please accept my apologies of this question has been answered already -- I searched for hours and couldn't find what I needed.

I have a '97 C4S (one of the reasons we KNOW there is a god, in my opinion ). I finally got completely sick of the factory alarm system -- the difficulty getting extra remotes from the dealer, the fact that I have to practically be IN the car to get the thing to lock/unlock and (ashamed as I am to admit it) because I like the cool little 'whoop whoop' sound that 3rd-party systems make....

So I went the local mod shop that did all the audio/alarm work on my other cars and asked them to install a Viper Responder -- no frills, just the alarm. They pulled the specs and did an excellent job installing. Keep in mind that I'm a mechanical MORON, so I can't tell you exactly what they did, but they told me that they configured the Viper to activate not only itself, but also the factory alarm when I hit the 'lock' button. Which it does -- and it also UNLOCKS the car when I hit the 'unlock' button. I'm a simple guy -- this made me happy (especially with the nearly 1/2 mile remote range and the aforementioned, cool 'whoop whoop' sound...

Here's the problem sequence:

1.) Viper unlock (factory alarm off, Viper alarm off -- both sets of LEDs stop flashing)
2.) Wait for 2 minutes or so
3.) Try to start the car -- it won't start, because the immobiliser has kicked in
4.) Viper lock/unlock, but the car still immobilised
5.) Factory alarm lock/unlock (thank goodness I kept the factory remote on the keyring!) -- car starts with no problem
6.) Wait about a minute -- car locks with FACTORY alarm (red LEDs blinking), but VIPER alarm is not set
7.) Hit factory alarm remote button, red LEDs go off but car does not unlock
8.) Hit factory alarm remote button, car unlocks
9.) Car then stays unlocked until this process is repeated (keep in mind that before the Viper install, once the car was unlocked, it STAYED unlocked and unalarmed until the remote button was pushed, although the immobiliser kicked in after 2 minutes or so.

Sorry for the low-tech moron description, but this is what's happening. The P-dealer actually suggested I post here! (They HATE after-market anything, of course)

Anyone out there have a suggestion that will allow me to not carry TWO bulky remotes with me so that I can have the cool features of an aftermarket alarm?

Many thanks in advance!
hal
(hal_stanley@hotmail.com)
Old 01-23-2005, 04:39 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send your ECU to Steve Weiner and he can disable the immobiliser while chipping the ECU.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:43 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you gone back to the alarm shop and asked them if it could be fixed? Seems to me this should be their problem to figure out, not yours.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket alarm blues