Sponsored by:

Just wanted to say hello

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:52 AM
95beema
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wanted to say hello

Well I just found this board in search of information on the 993. Right now I own an e36 M3 which I love but am about to sell it and start looking for a clean 96-98 c4s. I look foward to and have already learned alot from the search function. I have one question. I have never driven or rode in any p-car. I am going to drive a buddys 996 c4s this coming weekend. Will I get any sort of an idea what a 993 will be like or do I just need to find one I like and go try it out? Thanks for any input for this newb.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:01 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

a 996 is not going to give you any idea of what a 993 is like. I am going through this right now.
find a 993 and drive it. But dont pass up your buddies either. good statistical data point.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

It's my experience that the 993 will feel like a significantly different car. I'd highly recommend driving one soon! Love the 996 interior, but I'm "in love" with the 993 exterior, thus, I bought a 993. It was all about those beautiful curves.

This:

vs

this:

I'd take #1 anyday... but I'm totally biased towards the 993!

Good luck with your search,
Steve
Old 01-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome.

This is a place about nuts! All of us.. if you expect an unbiased opinion, you won't find it here!!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:48 AM
solsrch
Pro

One other thing, as a lot of us can attest to, it can take many months to find "the car". You might want to hold off on the sale of your current daily driver until you have completed that search. My last search took me 2-3 months of casual looking and another 3 months of real effort.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:48 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Good luck with your search! I also came from an e36 M3. The e36 M3 is a great car no doubt. The 993 is just more raw and I think much better looking. It won't be much faster than your M and may need some suspension upgrades to handle better. I wouldn't mind owning both, but if just one, the 993 is my choise.

Shawn
Old 01-22-2005, 09:59 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

May the force be with you on your journey.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:31 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Almost one year ago, I sold my 96 M3 and bought a 993. I was ready to buy one without ever having driven one, but fortunately fellow rennlister cfdarch let me autocross his. After setting the fastest time of the day of all 70 cars at the autocross without ever having driven a Porsche before, I was hooked. That said, you should drive one just to make sure you'll like it. As most of us here would say, I'm sure you will!
Old 01-22-2005, 01:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome 95beema, search no further, you have come to the right place 'A place where everybody knows your naaaame....', oh wait, thats a bar back east...

Seriously, welcome! Post some pics of your car..
Old 01-22-2005, 03:25 PM
95beema
Intermediate

Originally Posted by solsrch
One other thing, as a lot of us can attest to, it can take many months to find "the car". You might want to hold off on the sale of your current daily driver until you have completed that search. My last search took me 2-3 months of casual looking and another 3 months of real effort.
Isn't that the truth I was reading that thread "anyone frustrated with their search". I had a hard enough time finding my m. But I'm not proud I am going to sell it and pick up a beater or a bike so I don't have to rack up miles on my next car. I say it took me two months to find my m and it was not even exactly what I wanted. This time I am going to be very patient. I am not sure on the color I am going to shoot for as I love them all. But one thing is for sure I am one of the most **** persons condition of a vehicle and I am not taking any chances this time around. If I have to fly to see the car I'm there.

Originally Posted by swmic
Good luck with your search! I also came from an e36 M3. The e36 M3 is a great car no doubt. The 993 is just more raw and I think much better looking. It won't be much faster than your M and may need some suspension upgrades to handle better. I wouldn't mind owning both, but if just one, the 993 is my choise.

Shawn
Thats good to hear because honestly I am torn. It's hard to sell a car that has been nothing but good to you. I have truthly love this car. Best car I have owned to date. I'm not worried about it being faster. I probably won't do to many mods. roaming around here the last week or so I would say I am more interested in suspension and little stuff like pedals and others nik naks. I only have a couple of old pictures of my m I will have to get some update ones because alot has changed. I would love to own both as well. To bad I am not that successful I am just a car lover willing to do what it takes for to progress my passion. Oh and if I win the lotto some people on this site will have to name their price because your cars are fantastic. The mercedes is the girlfriends beater. Thanks for the replys----Ben
Attached Images    
Old 01-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I don't know, dude... are you sure you want to part with that gorgeous M3? That's my favorite color for that car, and the rear spoiler makes it of course. Also wanted a Ehite 95 M3 when they first came out... I fell in love with those original wheels they had in 95.

You'll love the 993. Hope you don't do alot of carrying other passengers though! They're not going to be very happy sitting in the back seat if this is your only car.

Steve
Old 01-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Read the Targa testimonals a few threads up ! That will sway your thinking !
Old 01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
95beema
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I don't know, dude... are you sure you want to part with that gorgeous M3? That's my favorite color for that car, and the rear spoiler makes it of course. Also wanted a Ehite 95 M3 when they first came out... I fell in love with those original wheels they had in 95.

You'll love the 993. Hope you don't do alot of carrying other passengers though! They're not going to be very happy sitting in the back seat if this is your only car.

Steve
No I rarely have passengers. I do love the white and if I sell it my first choice would probably be a white 97 c4s. I don't know as I said I have never driven a 993 and every time I take the twisties to work I love it more and more, but I can't help wanting a 993 and I hope that one ride/drive in one will sell me.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 354 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 95beema
........ The mercedes is the girlfriends beater........
That's the girlfriends "Beater"? If I weren't married I'd like to be your girlfriend!!!

Welcome to Rennlist! You will find a plethora of answers to all your questions here. I can't tell you how many times the Guys and Gals (yes there are several gals here) have come thru for me in a pinch.

See ya!
JoAnne
Old 01-23-2005, 12:54 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also had an E36 M3 (1996) before I bought my 993. I have not had one moment of regret. My M3 was a fabulous car. The steering and brakes were top notch. The engine was silky and torquey. But it just didn't 'do it' for me. A 996 drives like your M3 in many ways (in my opinion). The 993 is much quite a bit different in terms of feel and sound. It is just what I was looking for.

Good luck
chuck

Quick Reply: Just wanted to say hello