ANyone know about these Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:46 AM
supergrass
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ANyone know about these Rims?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...948846165&rd=1

Has anyone used these on their cars? Are they junk?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:09 AM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Replicas. I'd stay away.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:31 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously...what are you expecting to get for $800?!?! I wouldn't put those on my car even if i got them for free...
Old 01-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Check out the guys feedback. For a few hundred more you can pick up a used set of OEM's if you look around.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Guys, I'm not sure whay you are so set against replica rims?
Porsche doesn't make their own rims, they are all from other mfgs anyway.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:29 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nile13
Guys, I'm not sure whay you are so set against replica rims?
Porsche doesn't make their own rims, they are all from other mfgs anyway.
Nothing against replica rims per se (I have no problems with, say, Kinesis Supercups ) but based on the experience of a few Audi owners (on another forum I hang out at) who have bought from this vendor these are ones I would stay away from. When you consider that this vendor is selling a set of four rims for $800 you have to wonder where the costs of production are being cut from.

(they are also the wrong offset for a NB cab)
Old 01-23-2005, 01:10 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

David, I wholeheartedly agree with you - if you know these particular rims to be of poor quality, one should not buy them. I was referring more to replicas made by MilleMiglia, for example. They are pretty decent from everything I've heard.

However, in today's market $200 a piece should buy a very decent rim. I understand why P-car rims are so overpriced, but you can buy excellent rims for other cars for $150 a piece or less. Like Kosei, for example. The fact that they drill holes at a different pattern should not really increase the cost (but does increase the price, as the market, obviously, will bear almost anything).

I've had a set of 19" HREs that I've sold. They were (are y'all sitting down?) $5,032 for a set. No, I did not buy them, they came (mangled) with the car. I consider this nuts, sorry.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Mike,

What I and others are making a point of is the quality of the manufacturer and manfacturing technique. If the rims are from a reputable manufacture who monitors his process then I wouldn't nave an issue for the street. However, if they are from some off the wall shop with no process controls then I would stay away.

Ask the guy about the manufacturing process. Ask him about the BBS LM1 style he sells. Are they really forged?

I've had wheels which cracked in the past. It is not a fun experience.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alan, you bring up valid points. The seller, I believe, clearly indicated the manufacturer of the wheels. A Google search is in order from any perspective buyer.

I (knock on wood) never had a wheel crack. Not on many street cars, nor on race cars (I use 8.5 lb wheels, but it's all asphalt with no curbing). So I am much less concerned about it than, perhaps, some others are. I believe that a modern wheel has very little chance of cracking. And if it does, the internet would be full of stories (see my Google comment).

So... as always, caveat emptor. But I would not say that a replica wheel is inferior to OEM _simply_ because it's a replica.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I believe that a modern wheel has very little chance of cracking.
Mike,

Wheel cracks are not uncomon. Check out this, this, this, or this thread.

Some of these were stock Porsche wheels, too. I've also heard of Fikse and Kinesis wheels fracturing.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:45 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, I've heard of a Rota wheel cracking under autocross stress (a local STS competitor in a Subie). It happens, no doubt. Just not often enough for me to worry about, I guess. Should I?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Mike,

I think given enough repeated stress, any wheel has a chance of cracking. Anir had one of his Fikse wheels develop a break but it didn't stop me from going with Fikse. I don't spend much time worrying about it, although I do make a point to look at the front and back of the wheels when changing pads to inspect for potential problems. If you have good wheels, I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:58 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Compared to the typical "rice cars" (which I think a lot of the $200-250 value-priced rims are targetted at), IMHO Porsches stress the suspension (and the wheels) a bit more and I would argue that there is less room for compromise. Not only are P-cars capable of higher speeds then the typical "rice car" (say Honda, Toyota, etc) but the width of the tires (esp the rears) and the rear weight bias of our cars put additional stress on tires and rims.

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: ANyone know about these Rims?