Sponsored by:

C2 VS C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 06:17 AM
smartass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C2 VS C2S

I gather many of you have driven both standard Carrera 2 and wide body 2S.
What differences have you felt? Have somebode driven both in same configuration M030 etc close in time to really compare.

I live i Europe (Sweden) and read a lot of German and English magazines.
English magazines are often doubtful to C2S road abilities, especially on bad roads as are common in UK.
It seems that there is many C2S owners on this forum, so there should be some opinions.
I'm also interested in what roadholding options are most useful for a C2S.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Ulf,

My point of reference is performance. The look of the C2S is great but the width difference is minimal and the 2S is heavier.

IMO, the best performing NA is the RS... ! Next would be a X51 (3.8 liter option) C2.

Your car looks great and the differences are marginal.

I will see you in Swerige during Porsche Parade 2006
Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 AM
smartass
Advanced

Wink

I can agree on that. The RS was unfortunately not an option for me as my wife promted for a backseat. If you look on picture you can see child seat mounted in back, I have two boys, 3 and 5 years.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aaaah! Remember my younger days when these appendages were needed too.

I am no longer hung and yandsome
Old 01-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i think it is very hard to really tell the driving difference unless you drive them both at the limit and do so back-to-back.. i considered both.
i thought the c2 was better as it looks better IMHO w/o the tail ... if you want a widebody, then buy a turbo - plus, the c2 has a nice bulge anyway.
They are both beautiful, i would just find the one you want, but i personally would not pay the 's' premium. But perhaps the 's' comes better equipped.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:52 AM
smartass
Advanced

Well, I think the TT is quite a different story. Great performance, but it is heavier and I personally like normal aspirated engines better.
I have done some back-to-back tests with my S compared to friends 4S -96. Between those the difference where noticable. The 4S more calm and stable, tend to understeer when driven hard. 2S more agressive, you have to hold on to wheel more to keep it straight. Oversteer when driven hard. More revarding to driver.

From what I have seen S cars have average the same equipment as normal Carreras.
I also think (in Europe, at least), for a 993 a lot of entusiasts like to have them "basic" without a lot of "unnecessary" heavy equipment like rear viper, mobile telephone, full electric seats.
Most wanted options are 3.8l, locking diff and M030. Tiptronic cars are also cheaper in Europe.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:23 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i drove both when shopping, and in the end purchased the S based on condition, limited production (somewhat anyway) and the look. if i had found a narrowbody in better condition with the color combo i wanted, i would not have hesitated. i do think that the S looks better...its not that a narrowbody looks bad, but i do think the S looks better. people talk about it being heavier... not by enough for the average driver or even track driver to notice.

in terms of the handling, i couldnt feel much difference in the two. they both felt very loose in the front end over rough roads. my S handles like crap on bad roads, but on smooth ones, oh mama.

i am getting row mo30 and new shoes put on this weekend, so next week i expect an even smoother driving experience.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:38 AM
smartass
Advanced

I have M030. You will get an even rougher car on bad roads, but on smooth surfaces it is VERY nice.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

i would be VERY skeptical if someone claimed they could feel a difference between the C2 and C2S. The primary difference is that the C2S is a bit wider; something like 30mm??
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 PM
smartass
Advanced

30mm on each side, yes.
The english Porsche only Magazine GT- Purely Porsche (which is a very good magazine by the way) definitively clains so. I have 2 or three articles from them.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:11 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the look of the C2S, with the turbo bumpers and side skirts, I also love the colour coded split grill on the rear spoiler, to me the car looks a little more agressive. I would have bought one if my budget would have stretched to it at the time. My friend has the 3.8ltr option on his with the big reds and turbo twists, so perhaps I was spoiled when I had a go in his. But I am more than happy with my NB C2. I did read somewhere that the wider body creates more drag and along with the marginal extra weight dosen't achive the same top speed as the C2, but who gets near enough to top speed to notice anyway? Nice car.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:17 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

I've owned both and really couldn't tell any difference between the two when it came to the handling of the car. Personally I like the look of the C2S better. Something about that wide rear end makes me..... um..... hot....

JoAnne
Old 01-21-2005, 01:38 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

When a good friend of mine was asking for advice on what model to buy I told him a C2S was the way to go. I adore the looks. I found a Vesuvio for him with 100 k on the clock in very good condition. It was in fact the first one he'd ever seen in real and he nearly fainted when he saw it the first time. When we talked about the car afterwards the only word he could come up with was unbelievable. And that's what it is a truly unbelievable car. Half a year later now and he's still happy like a pig in ...
I cannot afford one so I just bought my second 964 C4 from 93 for exactly half the price of his C2S...
Old 01-21-2005, 01:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by smartass
30mm on each side, yes.
The english Porsche only Magazine GT- Purely Porsche (which is a very good magazine by the way) definitively clains so. I have 2 or three articles from them.
I call B.S. While a trained racecar driving professional might be able to detect a difference in handling, there's no way the vast majority of people could tell any difference between C2 and C2S, apart from appearance. No way.

By the way, isn't it 30mm TOTAL width difference?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:36 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric86Red911
By the way, isn't it 30mm TOTAL width difference?
According to this thread it's 60mm total - 30mm each side. Love every millimeter!

Quick Reply: C2 VS C2S