Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport "Ribs"....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:24 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport "Ribs"....

Called tirerack.com and they took my order, no questions asked. No VIN, no sending it to the dealership.

They are $800 out the door. Wish they had PS2's but I can't wait till Spring time when they will release more sizes (per tirerack rep.) Thanks mrsullivan for your advice.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Called tirerack.com and they took my order, no questions asked. No VIN, no sending it to the dealership.

They are $800 out the door. Wish they had PS2's but I can't wait till Spring time when they will release more sizes (per tirerack rep.) Thanks mrsullivan for your advice.
hmmmmm.... are you SURE?

This makes no sense. Even if for some reason now they decided to make them freely available, not sure why yours would cost $200+ less than mine....from the exact same company. Do you maybe have 17s on your car instead of 18s?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:57 PM
texas911
Race Car

Yea, sorry, I only have a C2 Coupe with the 17inch cups.

PS. Where are you going to get your tires mounted? Are places like NTB or Disount tire any good?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texas911
Yea, sorry, I only have a C2 Coupe with the 17inch cups.

PS. Where are you going to get your tires mounted? Are places like NTB or Disount tire any good?
still surprised they sold them to you so easily... maybe all my phone calls to Michelin and ground work paid off for future buyers...that would be nice.

as far as the mounting, its a personal choice. but for me, given the the price of mounting (probably about $100-$150), I just get them done at the Porsche dealership...
Old 01-21-2005, 06:54 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I've been fortunate as I've never experiecned any questions regarding VIN number from TR when I've order my PS. The only time I've faced any shortage was with the 19" Michelin snow tires where the local dealers purchased all that were available.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. They replaced my S02's and what a difference - much more quiet.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:25 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I guess I've been fortunate as I've never experiecned any questions regarding VIN number from TR when I've order my PS. The only time I've faced any shortage was with the 19" Michelin snow tires where the local dealers purchased all that were available.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. They replaced my S02's and what a difference - much more quiet.
the issue here is very specifically with PS "RIBS", which are N1, and on some kind of nationwide backorder.... or were at least.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:45 AM
texas911
Race Car

I own a Mercedes and go to benzworld.org. They have a tire forum there that isn't to busy and gets responses from the tirerack moderator/sales rep, pretty quick. I just called him directly. No questions asked.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:35 PM
texas911
Race Car

Wow, already delivered! Less than 24hours later. Now to get them installed!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:16 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"still surprised they sold them to you so easily... maybe all my phone calls to Michelin and ground work paid off for future buyers...that would be nice."

they probably heard you flamed Pelican and they couldn't help giving you a little grief....sorry, I just couldn't resist...the little devil on my shoulder got the better of me...no slight intended.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:43 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by slider
"still surprised they sold them to you so easily... maybe all my phone calls to Michelin and ground work paid off for future buyers...that would be nice."

they probably heard you flamed Pelican and they couldn't help giving you a little grief....sorry, I just couldn't resist...the little devil on my shoulder got the better of me...no slight intended.
no worries...i have pretty thick skin... only, if you are gonna take a pot shot, take it.... rather than this "no slight intended stuff".... of course you meant to slight, or you wouldnt have posted this...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:53 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Joe (slider)
What rims do you have on your car? Hard to tell from your avatar.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:59 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

...so much for the thick skin comment....dude, where's your sense of humor? We are fortunate enough to live in a place where we have the disposable time and income to pursue that last very ounce of performance from an already wonderful car...there is every reason to smile at all this stuff. So if a good natured follow enthusiast is just poking fun at another enthusiast, then life is still good, yes?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
AlexO
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tex,
Have a professional mount and balance them. I know it’s excessive, but I had Mike Callas mount mine when I bought them back in August. I wonder if it was your car I saw the other day at River Oaks Kroger.
Alex
Old 01-21-2005, 06:06 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Darin - I think we're a match, but I'm not sure to be honest. They're 17" is about all I can say - I wasn't able to get any of the paperwork when I bought the car, so I don't have any history (something I did use to negotiate the price, however). If we are a match, maybe you can help me with this small piece of the puzzle. here's a larger pix:
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Slider, Close- but no cigar. I have 18" Sport Design wheels.

Your's looks like the 2002 996 10 spoke 17". I saw them here http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...&ijt=car&id=14
Hope that helps!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport "Ribs"....