Sponsored by:

M5 Totalled, I'm OK, A Few Questions, Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 01:52 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

CP,

Glad you're OK, and it wasn't "your other car" that was damaged.

I just went through the totalled-car scenario with my insurance... I gathered lots of ads, both online and newspapers for similar cars, gathered all my receipts for the add-ons, and faxed everything to my agent. I got a very fair settlement... including the sales tax. They need to make you "whole" again. That's their committment.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Brad '95 C4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pong-
Sorry to hear about your accident! Glad you are seem to be OK. Like others have mentioned injuries may not show up for a bit so take it easy even if you feel just fine. Pay attention to neck soreness/stiffness.

Having dealth with insurance companies on modded cars, here's what I have done:

Do spreadsheet of each mod and cost for part and labor
(they may ask for dates as they may want to depreciates items)
Provide CD of many pics of each mod
Provide many used car ads that show a price you think is fair

Bottom line: show them how much care went into the M5 and that it was not your average Bimmer. I've had my insurance company subcontract out to a third party appraiser. But always be sure you are never confrontational--stick to the fact that what you want is fair compensation for your loss.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:55 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CP, I'm really glad that you are okay. And hopefully, you'll be back on the road again soon with another M5

Make sure you establish responsiblity asap, I've been in an accident which the other party tried to claim it was my fault even though he was carrying a giant carpet in his car. Needless to say they went after him...

http://dt.carumba.org/~jauderho/kodak/target/saab/
Old 01-21-2005, 07:02 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jauder - did they claim against the tree for your C4S?

Sorry, couldn't resist.....
Old 01-21-2005, 10:49 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CP, a little off topic, but let me know if you ever want to sell your ruf rims.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:44 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZy007
CP, a little off topic, but let me know if you ever want to sell your ruf rims.
Jimmy,

I'll keep that in mind, but it's quite unlikely. Glad you like the rims though. I really love them now.

CP
Old 01-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

CP, very sorry this happened, and glad you are still with us in one piece. To add to what has already been so well put, do not sign any medical release until your medical team pronounces you in the clear, and you have every penny they owe you. I am still waiting for medical and rental reimbursment for when I was rear ended back in September in Brussels.

Also, I know of a case in San Jose - not mine - where the cop wrote up the red light running crash as equal fault (or no fault, I forget which) to each party because, as he said "I was not there to witness".

With fines of $271 for running a red light versus $1000 for littering, braking distances way beyond most people's guesstimate even when they are not on the phone, and more people in a rush to get somewhere, I fear we are in for more of the same.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:39 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, that's COLD... REAL COLD.

Are you EVER going to make it out to the track? Laguna Seca 1/31 next. Looks like lots of people are doing that day. You should come...
Old 01-22-2005, 03:22 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

wow, thats too bad, good thing you're alright.

Dont consider me a vulture, but any way you could tell me where that M5 is going?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:24 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by M Danger
wow, thats too bad, good thing you're alright.

Dont consider me a vulture, but any way you could tell me where that M5 is going?
Mike,

It depends on who's insurance I ended up dealing with. After all the dust are settled, I will at least talk to the insurance about buying the car back as a roller. I believe the engine and transmission, while not perfectly intact, could be savlvaged and repaired. If the price is right, I might just do that.

Why do you ask?

CP
Old 01-22-2005, 02:36 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

ive got a 540 wagon that i really want to convert to an M5 wagon
Old 01-22-2005, 03:03 PM
CP
Race Director

Mike,

Got it. Please have patience. I'll keep you posted. It could take months.

CP
Old 01-22-2005, 03:49 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

thats good actually im in no hurry, looking for a deal on the front bumper, not sure about the rear cause i'd have to blend the 2 together, Not to mention the 19 m5 replica wheels, have to get them P coated black( the car is black) yada yada..
Old 01-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Pong, just saw this thread, really glad you both are ok, that was a very nasty one.

Best,
Jean
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Hi Folks,

It happened 9:10 this morning. I was south bound on San Tomas and I had the green light. No car stopped for red so I proceeded on the left lane.

A blur of white and we collided. The lady ran her red light from my left. I hit her white Blazer on the passenger side mid-section. She flipped on her side and skided through 4 lanes. We rolled her car on the wheels and helped her out of the car. She suffered chest and wrist injuries, and some deep cuts. I walked away with no injuries (Stanford Trauma Center ran x-rays and CT scans), just soreness around the rib cage and right chest area. Thanks the lord that the M5 is strong. ALL my airbags deployed. Since she came from my left, if I had been 7 feet further into the intersection, she'd T-bone me on the driver's side. She probably was going at 50-60 MPH. It'd be real ugly if she hit me broadside.

I have a few questions on insurance. This is my first experience in these matters. All State (they insure me) told me that they will pay me for my M5 per their pricing data. I don't know if in CA, I can even go after the other driver's insurance directly. But I had a hunch that All State may not cover all my mods, extended warranty, and the excellent conditions of my car. In addition, they did not mention time loss, pain and suffereing, and or waiver considerations not to file future suits.

Should I just deal with All State, or should I take a stab and work with the lady's insurance, assuming she is insured?

Thanks for the education.

Here are 4 Pics.

CP
I know old thread, but came across it doing a search on M5. That was some hit. Glad u made it out fine.

Quick Reply: M5 Totalled, I'm OK, A Few Questions, Pics