Sport Seat question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:10 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sport Seat question

Hi all,
I think I have the OE sport seats (I'm a newbie so go easy on me). The center sections are apparently not permanently attached to the seat anymore. I've linked some pictures to my website as I don't have my Rennlist# yet (I forgot to put my email address in the sign up form when I paid).

Here's the pix:

http://www.manonfireband.com/mp3/seat1.jpg
http://www.manonfireband.com/mp3/seat2.jpg

The question is, have any of you experienced this and what did you do about it?

Also I am thinking, it might be cool to recover those center pieces with black leather or cloth, or something. I don't 'love' the baby doo doo brown that much anyway, so it might look cool. I put black mats in to replace the old brown ones and like much better. Eventually I might re-do the interior (any tips there also appreciated)

Thanks for your feedback!

Jeff
Old 01-20-2005, 10:14 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, those are the OE Sport Seats and are in high demand !! Not sure I'd refer to them as "baby doo doo brown" though.........maybe CASHMERE !!!

If you're interested in swapping them out for 8 way power adjustable Comfort Seats (same color) let me know. I've been looking for Sport Seats in Cashmere for MONTHS !!!

Can't say I've tried to pull off the seat backs on mine so no opinions offered. Covering the seatbacks in a different color is a matter of personal choice.....if you think it would look good...GO FOR IT.

Most importantly, congrats on your 993 purchase and Welcome to Rennlist !!!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 AM
SLVR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that actually does look a bit baby doodoo brown, I am sure black would be a huge improvement, go for it.

As for a major color change, I would just try to swap the parts you want. You might catch the bits you need on Ebay. The German one comes up with goodies like that frequently.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:35 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
Yes, those are the OE Sport Seats and are in high demand !! Not sure I'd refer to them as "baby doo doo brown" though.........maybe CASHMERE !!!
Kevin are you sure that's cashmere? Maybe it's just his pic's, but it doesn't look like yours' or my old cab's cashmere....which by the way looks incredible with glacier white....

Jeff, Look in the current thread "Love to see your interior pictures" and on the last page and there's a pic of 2-tone seats in black/grey that look great. There also a great shot of Kevin's interior in cashmere. So is that yourinterior color???
Old 01-20-2005, 10:38 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went back and looked at J.Ho's pics, you're right....it may not be cashmere. However, I didn't think there was an alternative "tan" interior color for the 993 ?? Savanah or Sahara Beige for the 996 ?

Pandora's Box opened........
Old 01-20-2005, 10:43 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I remember reading about this same problem like a year ago. IIRC, Porsche has some special velcro (even has a part number) for use in there. Radio Shack carries the white/clear plastic locking adhesive fastening strips that also might work.

As for the seats, realize that people have paid over $2000 for a pair (I've heard even over $3000). So be careful if someone tries to "lowball the noob" by offering $700 like someone did to me last month for mine. If you want to make the seats black, do a search on Surflex.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:06 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Common problem with the sports seats. Mine did the exact same thing.

Like others have said, velcro should take care or it. Or, I fixed mine by installing a pair of Cobra Imola2 seats
The following users liked this post:
CosmosMoon (02-07-2023)
Old 01-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff,

Basically, Porsche's glue sucks and dries out over the years. I bought a pristine set of sport seats that looked like they had never been sat on, but they had the problem you described. The velcro stuck to itself fine, but the brown glue Porsche used to hold the velcro failed.

It was actually an easy fix that just required a little elbow grease. The labor involved removing all traces of the brown glue, which fortunately is only stuck on the hard back part. I used a quick dry enamel reducer as a solvent. With a little rubbing the stuff came off (just do it in a well-ventilated area or wear a respirator). Then with a clean surface to work with, I applied brand new Home Depot industrial strength velco pads about 4" by 2", matching the original size and locations on the seat back. For the bottom, I only replaced the velcro on the hard back side -- the part on the seat was sewn if I remember correctly. Anyway, I just cut one of those pads in half the long way and applied them.

Everything stuck great and I expect the industrial strength velcro glue to last a long time.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:41 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Speaking of Cobra Imola II, Chris you have a PM.

BTW, my sports seats did the exact same thing. Heavy on the brakes at turn 1 of Grattan and BLOOP the passenger seat pad falls forward.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not use Surflex on a highly worn surface like a seat. It's great for vinyl or leather that is never touched, like a dashboard or side panels but a surface that moves or changes shape, forget about it. It will come off easily. I speak from experience and yes, the surfaces were prepped correctly.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:43 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, I'm not sure. The whole interior is a light brown or tan it seems, not sure what the exact color is. I wonder is there a color code anywhere to be found...hmm.

No the seats are pretty cool, the backs are like blackish-grey metallic. I'll go check those pix on interiors, thanks!

thanks for the tips on how to glue back down guys!

Jeff
PS: I joined but don't have my renn# yet.

Quick Reply: Sport Seat question