Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the plunge... Bilstein HDs on the way.... install them myself?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Took the plunge... Bilstein HDs on the way.... install them myself?

I've had a box with H&R springs sitting in the corner of the garage for 9 months. Getting my car out of the spray booth with new RS splitters, so time to get her closer to the ground. Ordered the Bilstein HDs with the extra 30mm of thread from Gert (along with his FPB). So now....

I am NOT a DIY kind of guy. I try, I have the tools, I have the room, but I do more damage than good most of the time. Should I even attempt to install the springs and shocks? I know I'm going to have to take her in for the 4 wheel alignment anyway... but I've been told that I'm looking at over $1000 for the install and alignment.... ouch. Is is really that difficult?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:31 PM
jdoc7
Pro

$1000 for the install is too much. That's double what I paid which included 4 wheel alignment with kinematic toe and corner balancing.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:00 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard,

You do need a degree of confidence to do it, but with the info and help available from this board, you should consider it. Look over the many posts of people that have done this and make up your own mind.

If not, is a trip up to VB's place too far to get it done right? If I lived anywhere drivable to his location, that's the only place I'd consider having it done... most likely less than what you've been quoted for the install.

p.s.- if you do have VB do it, take extra money!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide not to DIY, I've heard good things about both West End Alignment and Johnson's Alignment, both in Torrance. When I do the HD or PPS9 thing, I will likely choose between DIY and one of these two shops. West End is run by a guy named Darrin who I've read numerous rennlist compliments ("Darin does excellent work and he used to work for Johnson's alignment for fourteen years. 310-808-9233").

If you go with either West End or Johnson's, I'd be interested to hear feedback. If you DIY, good luck and hope all turns out well.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

check out the instructions on p-car.com. They are very strightforward and spell out just about everything. The fronts are a piece of cake, the rears get a little tricky removing the big camber bolts and reaching the bolts on top of the shocks. It is very helpful to have a friend help with the rears. I think the DIY is worth it because you can take the time to clean the parts before they go back on, and it's good to know for sure that is was done right.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Richard,
I am in the process of performing the same install. I have received a lot of help the board. I will gladly pass on any information I gather during the install.
Dave
Old 01-18-2005, 10:45 PM
flyenby
Instructor

WENT TO WESTEND IN GARDENA, had FVD KIT INSTALLED BILSTEINS, EIBACHS,M030 SWAY BARS,CORNER BALANCE,ALIGNMENT,LABOR WAS $450.OO. DARIN REALLY KNOWS HIS STUFF AND IS A TRUE CRAFTSMEN......................YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH HIM.
SCOTT
Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

flyenby; Using Capital letters is the same as YELLING. It is also harder to read.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:58 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

motion. Go for it. I think you should give it a try. I think you will need to compress the springs. That is probably the trickest part. Oh getting your hands in behind the engine is not a piece of cake either.
$450.00 for the whole enchilada would be tempting. I think that is a great price.
I changed the shocks on my 911 and found that to a challenge.
I'm mustering up the courage to tackle the install of my PSS9s, which are in the garage and new sways which I have yet to decide whichs one the buys.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
tlark
Drifting

My HDs are on the way too, I'm planning on DIY. I run a TT, and I assume I have to remove the wheel well inner liner to get to the top bolts on the rears or is there a way from the removal in the rear deck lid from the interior?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:53 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I think you will need to compress the springs.
I didn't need a spring compressor when I did my PSS9s. Can't imagine the HDs would differ.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I did NOT need a spring compressor on my DIY HD/M030 install..................Do it yourself, I am far from an auto mechanic and just followed the directions and Rennlist wise men ....AK
Old 01-19-2005, 12:04 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
My HDs are on the way too, I'm planning on DIY. I run a TT, and I assume I have to remove the wheel well inner liner to get to the top bolts on the rears or is there a way from the removal in the rear deck lid from the interior?
No need to remove the wheel well liner(s). The rear is the hardest as you have to remove the toe links. Remove the airbox assy. and the HVAC blower assy. and this will give much more room to get at the damper mount nuts. You can leave the interior intact.

Spring compressor is not needed either as the springs dont have much preload on them at all

A 'windowed' 21 (or 22mm) socket makes life easier in torquing up the shaft nuts. A 7mm 'L' allen wrench will hold the shaft. Also be careful not to overtighten the shaft nuts as there is no 'stretch' like a typical fastener. Torque wrench is best for this.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:12 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Remove the airbox assy. and the HVAC blower assy. and this will give much more room to get at the damper mount nuts.
For me, I didn't remove the airbox assembly, just the airbox cover and filter. I didn't remove the HVAC blower either.

Just adding my .02 to let you know it's a lot easier than it's made out to be. Some people will get stuck at different places on the same install. That's why it's great to have this board to turn to for collective solutions.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:24 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
That's why it's great to have this board to turn to for collective solutions.
Amen brother

Quick Reply: Took the plunge... Bilstein HDs on the way.... install them myself?