993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:54 AM
supergrass
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch replacement cost?

I noticed today that my clutch is going to need to be replaced soon, what should I expect to spend to have it replaced at the dealer? Any recomendations on upgrades that aren't too expensive to do at this time?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:11 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had Devek install their lightweight flywheel/clutch assembly. Parts were $1,500 for the turbo, $1,250 for NA cars, and labor was $1,265. 4 wheel alignment with kinematic toe set was $ 295. Most dealers/shops are about the asame for the stock unit.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:44 AM
99D3C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must a 4 wheel alignment be completed after a new clutch is installed or was it merely time anyway?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 99D3C2
Must a 4 wheel alignment be completed after a new clutch is installed or was it merely time anyway?
If the shop that does the clutch removes the suspension cross member in the rear, then you should do a full alignment. In Johns case, this was removed along with the front wheel carriers and tie rods (he also got EVO uprights installed). On a C2, you can remove the transaxle without removing the suspension cross member so you do not need to do an alignment.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:57 AM
99D3C2
Instructor

Thanks...I think my member was removed.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

How do you know your clutch needs replacement? Is it slipping? How many miles on the car?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:11 PM
flyenby
Instructor

On my car which is a 97 c2s, mechanic showed me clutch lining residue on the aircleaner element as the clutch has a tube connected to air cleaner, and was sucking the residue in to air cleaner
Old 01-18-2005, 11:23 PM
supergrass
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch

My car is a 96 cab c2 with 41k for miles. It drives fine for normal driving, but the two times I tried launching by revving and letting out the clutch from a stop, it slipped so bad that the car wasn't even moving. Afterwards there was a real strong burning smell. I don't normally drive my car hard, but the two times I tried racing someone from a stop, Im stuck nearly standing still because the clutch is slipping. I have had the car for about a year and a half.

I think the lightweight flywheel seems to be something that alot of people recommend. Any down side to this?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My recent clutch replacement at the dealer cost $2k. I did not upgrade to the LWF. My DMF was in good shape and, for my driving, the mechanic recommended that I stay Dual Mass.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:22 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by supergrass
My car is a 96 cab c2 with 41k for miles. It drives fine for normal driving, but the two times I tried launching by revving and letting out the clutch from a stop, it slipped so bad that the car wasn't even moving. Afterwards there was a real strong burning smell. I don't normally drive my car hard, but the two times I tried racing someone from a stop, Im stuck nearly standing still because the clutch is slipping. I have had the car for about a year and a half.

I think the lightweight flywheel seems to be something that alot of people recommend. Any down side to this?
I have the same exact issue with my 96 Cab with 36k on the odometer. I'm just about ready to bring it to my mechanic to fix this, add RSR's and do the M030 suspension setup. I'm looking forward to hearing any feedback on the various options with clutch setups.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:06 AM
Terrance Seto
Instructor

"Thanks...I think my member was removed."

That's gotta hurt
Old 01-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry yet.

Mine does this too. A high RPM launch with a RWD Porker will do that coz there is so much traction that something has to slip. Otherwise, things would break.

The proper method for checking is in either 3rd or 4th gear at 4500 rpm. Floor the accelerator. If there is clutch slippage then you need a new clutch. If not, save your money.

BTW, because the clutch housing has a hose connected to the air intake, it is normal to find clutch dust on your air filter. This is also a good reason to keep the OEM air filter... unless you vent the clutch elsewhere.

Cheers from sunny Europe (where I am at any rate)

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:26 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I don't remember if there are any ecu issues on a '96 obdII cars. Zero issues on my '97 with stalling, sputtering, etc....

Honestly, after adding the LWF and RS clutch I am amazed by the fact that there is even a debate about this modification. For OBDII cars this is a tremedous upgrade (and can also be done for OBDI with chip tuning).
Take out a failure prone, heavy flywheel and add a higher quality, lighter, more reliable flywheel and clutch that is cheaper than OEM. What's not to like about that?
Oh yeah, wait till you drive it. Its like having a different car. BTW, here comes the slippery slope.... while everything is out of the car, its a great time to add the RS motor and tranny mounts.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:28 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

ViperBob, I am assuming that it is easier to remove the transaxle on a C2 to do a clutch/FW, etc... as opposed to dropping the engine/tranny together. Everyone here on the board seems to drop the whole deal. Any tips on just removing the transaxle on a C2? Thanks
Old 01-19-2005, 01:18 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyenby
On my car which is a 97 c2s, mechanic showed me clutch lining residue on the aircleaner element as the clutch has a tube connected to air cleaner, and was sucking the residue in to air cleaner
Not sure I follow your mechanic's logic there. Isn't that like saying you need new brake pads because there's dust on the wheels?

Last edited by rainmn; 01-19-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement cost?