Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't we increase the throttle body size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005 | 04:14 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Default Why can't we increase the throttle body size?

So, I was talking to a fellow car buddy yesterday and while we were talking "car", we got to talking about engine modifications.

I told him aside going forced induction and chipping the ECU, there aren't a whole lot of improvements to be made to the 3.6L.
He asked me why the engine wouldn't benefit from a larger throttle body and bigger injectors. According to him, these are common modifications in the muscle car crowd.
I didn't have an answer for him. So, I thought I'd ask. I'm sure there is a logical explaination, I just don't know what it is.
Old 01-17-2005 | 04:19 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

The amount of air that can get into the engine is limited by the SMALLEST point between the entry point and the cylinders. You could have a 10 inch diameter throttle body and it would still not allow any more air in that the smallest point of restriction will.
Old 01-17-2005 | 04:24 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

So, it would be safe to say the TB is not the "choke point" in the induction system?
Curious.
I guess it must be on many other cars.

Thanks for the information.
Old 01-17-2005 | 05:47 PM
Cy
Racer

Leland,

Someone brought this up before and was experimenting with it sometime ago. I believe they promised dyno reports of before and after. I was busy back then so I don't know the final outcome if there ever was one. Search the archives and you should be able to resurrect it.

Regards,
Old 01-17-2005 | 11:28 PM
914und993
Pro

I think that someone was Boris Teksler. He did not find an improvement with the larger throttle body, if I recall correctly, but he didn't change his injectors either.

From what I've learned, larger injectors won't help unless more air can can be flowed, and the throttle body is not the limiting factor.

Chip

Quick Reply: Why can't we increase the throttle body size?