Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Clutching

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 08:59 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Mike in Chi:
<strong>I raced a car with a sequential gearbox for a year.

Try as I might I could not double-clutch it.

As Mark mentioned, it was very easy to shift without the clutch, at least going up.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Here is what you do Mike,

Pull really, really hard on the shifter while you are at full throttle to make your shifts. After awhile, you will have all sorts of extra neutrals and can start double-clutching.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Good idea, Mark.

You can never have too many neutrals.

What I did was just left it in fifth. Then I never had to be bothered keeping track of what gear I was in or how many to go down for a turn.

Much simpler that way.

I asked Getto about it, but he's never been in a race car. He did, however, have an opinion.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:45 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're all wrong, and double-clutching actually does help extend the life of synchros. It is, however, slower than single-clutching, so that unless the car you're driving requires it, I wouldn't do it on the track. It's hard to do perfectly, and I enjoy it, therefore I do it (except on the track, because it's slower). And before someone chimes in and says that it isn't any slower because you're doing it while you're braking, I say that you're on the brakes too long if you've got time to double-clutch (on the track).

Besides all that, I mainly just wanted to see how my new avatar looks.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Great new avatar, DJ.

It's a Stealth, right?
Old 05-28-2003, 11:53 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess so...

Anyone have any ideas as to why I can change it in my profile, but it keeps defaulting to blank?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:46 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by DJ:
<strong>I guess so.

Anyone have any ideas as to why I can change it in my profile, but it keeps defaulting to blank?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I had the same problem. I assume you are changing it and seeing the new one on your profile page. Make sure you hit the update button from there. Even then, I think I had to do that 4-5 times before it actually worked.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

DJ

I had trouble loading as well. It was back when John D was doing the upgrades, and I thought it was related to that.

So what Mark said must be why it finally took after a couple tries. (I also figured it could be foolish on my part to leave my avatar in control of that lawyer in St. Louis.)

Quick Reply: Double Clutching