993 w/ TPC supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:02 AM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 w/ TPC supercharger

Hi,
I've been away from the board for a while, but I am back in the market for a 993.
I am currently looking at a MY96 993 with an aftermarket Turbo Performance Supercharger. I have searched the archives............but was still wondering what the (+/-) are of having a Supercharger?

Thanks for your input.

993 chaz
Old 01-16-2005, 11:46 AM
99D3C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+more power
-too few TPC kits installed to know for sure but a lot of smart people seem to think there could be a better solution

as 4 u buying the car...if you dont like the TPC kit, unbolt it and sell it. it will sell easily
Old 01-16-2005, 10:45 PM
cecil
Instructor

"a lot of smart people seem to think there could be a better solution" tlak is free. I just don't get it. This kit has been out for years. I had one on my car for years. No problems. The "smart" people who think they can do better should put their money where their mouth is and build one.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:47 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

cecil,

how many miles did ou put on the supercharger, also what degree of boost did you run for the most part. Also did your's have an intercooler fitted?

Thanks
chas
Old 01-16-2005, 11:03 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

993chaz,
I went with the TPC SC, I don't have too many miles on it, but the fun factor is way out of sight. The car is so much easier to drive with power any time you want it. 322 rwhp, no intercooler. There are some down side issues... no cruse control, some eroneous 'check engine' codes for missfire. Car runs GREAT!!!!
LOL
Old 01-16-2005, 11:06 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Thx Mr. Bock,
Im not concerned about the cruise ( never used it)...............what do you do about the engine codes?

Thx
chas
Old 01-16-2005, 11:17 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I was going in and erasing the codes, but the light would come back on. The light is annoyingly bright. Now I put a piece of black tape over the light. I have noticed that after a number of restarts/miles the light goes out on it's own. I had the car into TPC and they messed around but did not cure this problem. The cost of more power??? The taped light helps.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:17 PM
99D3C2
Instructor

A smart individual recently made an offer here to engineer a better kit contingent upon some genuine interest with the deposits to back it up. I have no doubt that as mr_bock has mentioned an experienced company could offer the 993 community a SC kit that actually meshed with the car as though it was installed at the factory. The TPC kit offers generous HP and TQ gains. The price is reasonable and it seems to be relatively well engineered and so far I have not heard of any durability issues.

The reason I have not yet installed one is simple. Between losing cruise control, an intermediate fan blower speed, and having to install the mickey mouse 7th injector in lieu of a proper fueling solution I had to pass. Additionally further fabrication is required to adapt the "kit" to your car. These things are all something I could live with on a Mustang but a Porsche is about the car working as a whole as opposed to brute force.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:07 AM
cecil
Instructor

The cruise can be hooked up
There is no fabrication required but it does take a real mechanic to install, not a parts changer
The extra injector works fine
TPC did not ask their customers to fund their development
The check engine light has a bulb
I put a around 27,000 miles on the car with the charger
The boost ran at around 5.3 psi
No intercooler
The mustang comment is silly

Now for my real take. Adding an aftermarket supercharger to your Porsche is not for the faint hearted. It is a major mechanical undertaking. It takes about 20 hours to install and some minor fitting adjustments may be required. This kit worked fine for me. The install is not as attractive as some might want and you can certainly pay someone to fabricate any type of bracket for wiring you want. My mechanic used tie straps and they worked fine. The car ran great the whole time I had it and is still running great for the new owner. It changes the 993 into a completely different car. The handling does not change and if you are easy on the throttle you would hardly know it’s there, but when you get on it the power comes on right then. You can have the kit on a C2 so you don’t experience the drive train losses of AWD. I would never own another 993 without a supercharger and as far as I know this is the only one available.

The guy’s at TPC are good guys. Mike Levitas drives Porsche car’s in the Rolex Grand Am series. He is very fast. Mr. Bock you should arrange for Mike to “take you for a ride.”
Old 01-17-2005, 08:38 AM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Thanks cecil,

actually Im looking at a car that already has the supercharger on it.

Chas
Old 01-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Chris Berendes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chas,

I have thought about getting the supercharger to boost the car in higher gears/ speeds, but dont think I will get one. I would rather buy a stock 993TT which should give me at least the same performance plus I dont have to worry about any of the issues that have been mentioned above. Just my 2 cents
Enjoy the hunt
Chris
Old 01-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Chaz,

I've had the TPC SC with a custom Intercooler in my 993 for about a year now. Aprox 2K miles. There are fixes for the CEL light, depends on how much it annoys you, or if the emissions police are after you.

As others have mentioned, if you have access to a good tech (as myself and Mr. Bock did) then the install is fairly painless (except the wallet). I did drive a couple of TTs and while the power is comparable, the lag in a TT was annoying compared to the "instant on" linear power of the SC. I'm still on the hunt for a better fuel delivery system, but the one supplied by TPC seems adequate.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:50 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for your advice. I looked at the car today and took it for a short drive, its set up exactly how I want it.........the supercharger is great, it is very immenent at take of under hard throttle but seams to settle down under higher speed.

I'll let you know how the negotiation go, they are re-spraying the front splitter due to some stone chips. Other than that it's a really nice 993.

Im getting excited.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:26 AM
m5guru
Instructor

This is a very interesting thread. I read it with great interest as I've seen a '95 with the TPC supercharger on it for sale with about 51,000 miles on it.

It seems that the posts I've read here refer to the supercharger kit being installed on RWD models. I have not see much reference to the kit being installed on AWD models. Is there any particular *additional* concern beyond those that have been mentioned already in putting this type of kit through the stock AWD system Porsche delivers?

David
Old 05-01-2005, 12:28 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Is it true the the SC kit is not recomended for track use? This is what they said when I was looking into the boxster supercharger.

Quick Reply: 993 w/ TPC supercharger