Smog Check Warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Check Warning

Just so nobody else has to waste time like I did. Put your stock airbox cover on before you take your car in for a smog check.

I took mine in this morning with a home-brewed Cup-style aribox lid (looiks like hte Fabspeed one) and they wouldn't do the smog check due to the clutch vent tube venting to open air.

That sad thing is that after I was about 1 mile from the house I thought about the lid for some reason and debated whether or not to turn around and at least get it and leave it in the car. I decided not to as I didn't see any reason for it.... I was wrong.

I don't know if this applies to those who have drilled their airbox lid but I'd at least have some duct tape on hand to cover the holes if they balk at it....that may or may not satisfy them.

I also don't know if this only applies to CA or to all state....
Old 01-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, Kim. Wouldn't have thought about it at emissions.

Did they put your car on rollers?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:43 PM
mborkow
Drifting

kim, do you not think your car will pass emissions? i just had my 993 smogged and she blew 0 parts per million! i have a c4 though so they couldn't put it on the rollers...
Old 01-13-2005, 07:42 PM
msch
Instructor

I posted about my exp on this about 6 months back. They were really upset with the home made modification AND not having the clutch ventilation snorkel in there. Kind of a pain...but i went home and changed lids while popping the snorkel back on.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had my emmision check in the state of Washington...they didn't even open the deck lid and look...just put it on the rollers and we passed. BTW I have the drilled air box cover. I guess each state is different in what they look for.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I am surprised the smog place even noticed the clutch vent not hooked up, much less a different looking airbox cover. Did they scan under the middle of the car for the cat?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:18 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I am surprised the smog place even noticed the clutch vent not hooked up, much less a different looking airbox cover. Did they scan under the middle of the car for the cat?
I just went through NJ state inspection, and yes, the guy did look under the middle of the car for a cat. On top of that, after watching the guy stall my car three times, he comes over with a "Rejected" sticker. Told me it was because my fog lights didn't go out with the high beams. They weren't even turned on...they were looking at the parking lights. Once I showed them, they passed it.
On a positive note, they couldn't care less about a clutch vent or airbox cover. They never open the deck lid.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
They also asked if it had a cat...
You should have said, sure I have a cat.....AND a dog
Old 01-14-2005, 12:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Kim, then you could have said, 'ohhh, THAT catalytic converter, shoot, I have two or three of those back at home'

Quick Reply: Smog Check Warning