Sponsored by:

On Board Computer/install

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 12:44 PM
jhb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question On Board Computer/install

Several weks ago a discussion was had regarding installing the OBC in a 993. It was mentioned that the thermometer was already installed in the car and that one needed only to buy the columnm lever and the Tach with the display. Several people were interested in this. Does anyone have a definitve answer on whether this is possible? Is it really as simple as adding the parts and are the harness plugs and sofware already on-board the car, or does it require a DME or some sort of software upgrade and harness upgrade?
Old 10-26-2001, 02:02 PM
jhb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we had this thread going for awhile until the disk crash. As of the last post, we had:

new tach ~$600.00
new stalk ~$300.00

But we still do not know if a software upgrade is required, or if the harness will support this upgrade on a non-OBC production car. Has anyone asked a dealer or could PCNA help? Sounds like some interest, maybe we could get them to create a kit for post market cars W/out the option?
Old 10-26-2001, 11:17 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
jhb:

I just crashed my 993. I have removed the tach and the stalk and will try to test with Robin's car this weekend. We will post results after test. The OBC tach has a single plug and the stalk plugs into a cable that is part of the wiring harness for the blinkers, cruise, wipers, etc. Hopefully, the non OBC 993 has the receptacle plug for the stalk and is wired to accept and communicate with the OBC tach.

993less & sore but looking,

Hank
Old 10-27-2001, 06:47 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bad news, guys:

Robin and I tried to retrofit my OBC Tach into his car and found that the tach connector is different and there is no plug to accept the stalk. Perhaps there is an OBC wire harness that could facilitate the upgrade, but it is not plug and play.

Hank Cohn
The following users liked this post:
Tarek307 (02-10-2024)
Old 10-28-2001, 10:12 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Hank Cohn:
<STRONG>jhb:

I just crashed my 993.Hank</STRONG>
I hope you and passengers are OK. Good luck finding another. Amazing how you raced your other 993 and never had any accidents (at least that I know of) and then have one in your street car. I have been in two on-track accidents and in both of them I was a passenger, once in my car and once in a students. These have both changed the way I instruct students. Anyway I hope you get a "new" car that is better than the previous one.
Greg

Quick Reply: On Board Computer/install