Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY for replacing lights in center console?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 01:57 PM
Jeff 993Turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DIY for replacing lights in center console?

Is there a DIY out there for replacing the lights in the switches of the center console ( in front of the shifter ) ?

My door lock light has gone out and I don't know if I can replace the individual light or have to replace the entire switch.

TIA

Jeff

ps, btw, there was a discussion a while ago about changing the switches all together with better quality ones. Does anybody know what the outcome of this was? Part numbers/suppliers?
Old 09-12-2001, 02:46 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeff,

There is no separate part number for the light bulb inside of the switch, which means they recommend you replace the complete switch as one unit.

Of course you can always take it apart and see if you can the bulb at Radio Shack or something.

For the part number of the switch go to my web site's part number look up section.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:54 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jeff,

If a 993 is like a 964 (and I'm sure it is), the switch is designed to be replaced as a unit. That's what I have done in the past. A bit expensive. On the other hand, more motivated/resourceful people than myself have soldered in a new LED.

Here's a recent thread on this subject, from the 964 board. Soldering of LEDs is discussed:

Thread on Center Console Lights
Old 09-12-2001, 04:10 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff

Your recollection is right. There has been a thread on switch upgrade or non-OEM replacements. The brand was Carling Technologies, but AFAIK, there has never been a posting of the actual part numbers & I could not figure it out from Carling's website. Maybe someone can do better than I & post part numbers.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:14 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Carling makes a family of switches that drop in the panel slot. Carling & others all have an IEC/DIN footprint.Measure the slot size and page thru a Digi-Key or Newark catalog and locate the Carling switches that a)fit,b) have the correct color
& light and c) have bare terminals designed for snap in terminals which need to be crimped to the existing wires! No soldering required. Carling has a really cool tactile quality and IMHO looks better and fits better! I changed all switches in both of my turbo cars in favor of Carling. I also added a Carling switch for my GDO which fits in the cavity under the panel! Just snap in and forget. No solder & no mess!

Quick Reply: DIY for replacing lights in center console?