Sponsored by:

Where to buy Recaro SRD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 03:17 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Where to buy Recaro SRD?

I just bought a 1997 993 C2 coupe for recreation including autocross and Drivers
Ed events.

I am 6’4” tall and without a helmet my head is nearly touching the roof. I need a
Recaro SRD to lower me an inch or two to give me room to wear a helmet.

Any suggestions on where to buy one?

Also, from p-car.com, the published SRD installation refers to welding a stock
buckle mounting bracket to the seat. Are there any SRD suppliers who will do
this for 993 owners?

Thanks!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 09-08-2001, 08:49 AM
Porsche911NYC
Advanced

Thumbs up

George, check out PAR Porsche in New Rochelle, New York. They advertise in Excellence & Panorama and are one of the largest Recaro Dealers in the country (800.367.7270). Ask for Paul Resnick (the owner), he'll take good care of you. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool

So you finally stepped up to the plate sunny George, congratulations on the 993. I hope you got your limited slip!

For the seats PAR is good as well as Dave Turner's Performance World in San Diego. Dave has the complete line at competitice prices. He also sells helmets, etc. etc.

Be advised when you install SRD seats, your stock lap belts go away. The inner mount, left and right, of your stock lap belts are mounted to the seat.

If you want to keep your stock belts for around town driving, you may want to consider GT2 seats from Gert, or from Performance Products in Van Nuys, CA. They have slots for the shoulder belts and retain the mounting point for the stock lap belts. They also appear to provide more head room (they appear lower) than the SRDs.

POC (Porsche Owners Club) rules are such that when mounting 5 or 6 point belts, they must me anchored to the tub, not the seat.
This is the way I had mine mounted and I like this approach.

The Porsche Owners Club is holding a two (2) day Short Track at the Streets of Willow track in Rosamond, CA, 15 miles north of Lancaster, CA, on the 22nd and 23rd of September. It is plenty sunny there...you'll feel at home. Stock lap belts are OK for this event...you'll need a helmet.

Instructors are available and you'll get close to two (2) hours of track time throughout the weekend. Let's test out that 993! I'll give you a ride around the track in my 993 and you can see if you like the mods I have made, M030, etc. This invite goes out to all 993 Porsche Pushers.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:45 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Schacht993:

I have been wanting to go to one of these for a while. How can I get more info on this one?

Also, is it a problem that I drive a cab?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:41 AM
George Helser
Instructor

schacht993,

Thanks for your post. The 993 is my third Porsche and I am a 26 year PCA member.

I am happy to say the 993 I bought was factory equipped as if I had ordered it custom:
It is a silver 1997 with LSD/ABD, sport chassis, sport seats, motor sound, CD radio with speaker option, some cosmetic options and 18” Factory Tech wheels. Oddly, the dealer lowered it before putting it in the showroom. I am investigating what they did to lower it.

I just installed the Valentine One and the 3-axis accelerometer (G-analyst) today. I have
done no “G” measurements yet.

According to the p-car DIY the Recaro SRD can be installed with the factory belts with a bracket welded to the inboard side but it is very tight. I was looking at the SRD because I read it will lower me about 1.5” which I really need to fit a helmet. I will consider the GT2 seats from Gert but they are not in my current Performance Products catalog. Where can I get info?

I am looking forward to autocrossing and some DE events but with work and travel it will probably be a month or two before I can sit in the 993 with a helmet on.

Hope to see you on the track some day!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Quick Reply: Where to buy Recaro SRD?