993 Forum 1995-1998

Stuck rear seatbelt retractor

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 11:55 PM
David '97 993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stuck rear seatbelt retractor

The rear seatbelt is stuck in the full retracted position. Can anyone tell me how it get it to release?
Old 09-08-2001, 12:51 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts
When the seat belt is fully retracted onto the inertia reel, the ONLY way you can get it to release is to hold the inertia reel PERFECTLY vertical and pull straight up on the belt. Now in your case, if the reel is still mounted to the chassis under the interior panel, you will want to try to adjust the angle of the belt so that you are pulling it straight up versus the angle of the inertia reel (if that makes any sense). Alternatively, the panel is easy to remove and then you can unbolt the reel and give yourself some room to maneuver. Whatever you do, don't try to take apart the inertia reel - that is very dangerous and you will definitely ruin it. Good luck
Old 09-08-2001, 12:53 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by David '97 993:
<STRONG>The rear seatbelt is stuck in the full retracted position. Can anyone tell me how it get it to release?</STRONG>
I have the same problem with the rear seats belts of my '96 C4S.
I tried to pull out the belts very hard like someone suggested (see archives on the old 993-996 board) . I also tried to be very gentle but all with no luck.
I don't want to try to repair the locking mechanism so I guess the only real solution is to replace both rear seat belts.
Old 09-08-2001, 02:25 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When my rear belt retractors have locked (2x), I freed them using a method Gert referenced (also discussed in the archives).

I exerted a very steady, but hard straight pull on the belt which took up some slack & then I abruptly let up causing the belt to "jump" in a bit. A few such efforts and the belt released. It's easier to do than to explain, but it worked. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2001, 03:29 PM
David '97 993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks St.Louis, It worked. Your right it is easier to do than explain to explain.

Quick Reply: Stuck rear seatbelt retractor