Cup car Gas: Info from Porsche Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 12:54 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cup car Gas: Info from Porsche Motorsports

OK,
You may recall the thread that I started a few days ago regarding fuel for Cup Cars. I sent an email to Porsche Motorsports and I thought that you might be interested in the reply:

My e-mal to Henry Hsu, Technical Director Porsche Motorsports NA

I just4 purchased an "old" 993 Cup car for PCA racing and and I see that the required fuel is 98ROZ which I belive is equivalent to 93US ((RON+MON)/2). Can you please tell me whether this interpretation is correct?
Thank you very much in advance
Jean-Marc Rotsaert

His reply
2We have dyno tested the cup engines with different fuels and found that any octane below 95 US will decrease performance. Since the cup ECU has closed loop knock control, the computer will automatically subtract timing when knocking is detected. With our current timing map, the engine will knock with 93 Octane gas and the timing will be reduced thereby decreasing the HP. We recommend 100 Octane race gas for optimum performance.

Henry Hsu
Technical Director
Porsche Motorsport North America
Old 09-07-2001, 02:08 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jean-Marc:

Thanks for the update--very interesting info.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that all normally aspirated 993's will benefit from 95 octane. I know my turbo needs more than California's lame 91 octane gas to perform its best.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:32 PM
Pete @ Andial
Intermediate

Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<STRONG>OK,
You may recall the thread that I started a few days ago regarding fuel for Cup Cars. I sent an email to Porsche Motorsports and I thought that you might be interested in the reply:

My e-mal to Henry Hsu, Technical Director Porsche Motorsports NA

I just4 purchased an "old" 993 Cup car for PCA racing and and I see that the required fuel is 98ROZ which I belive is equivalent to 93US ((RON+MON)/2). Can you please tell me whether this interpretation is correct?
Thank you very much in advance
Jean-Marc Rotsaert

His reply
2We have dyno tested the cup engines with different fuels and found that any octane below 95 US will decrease performance. Since the cup ECU has closed loop knock control, the computer will automatically subtract timing when knocking is detected. With our current timing map, the engine will knock with 93 Octane gas and the timing will be reduced thereby decreasing the HP. We recommend 100 Octane race gas for optimum performance.

Henry Hsu
Technical Director
Porsche Motorsport North America</STRONG>
If that's what PMNA has found on N/A 993s what do you think will happen to those HIGHBOOST Twin Turbos with lousy intercoolers ?
Just some food for thought.

Pete
Old 09-10-2001, 10:31 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
I always use racegas at the racetrack.......youre demanding 100% performance without any mercy at all temperatures.........gasoline is cheap even at $5.50/gallon....detonation and hightemperatures are the invincible enemy to power and strong engines.......engine rebuilds are expensive and time consuming. I cant imagine running a Turbocharged car with upgrades without 100unleaded or better yet 110 CAM 2. Its amazing you still see newbies gassing up their Turbos and putting in lousy street gas.....and say I cant tell the difference BUT all get new engines in 1-2 years.

One of these years I am going to get a used Twin Turbo engine and have Pete and ANDIAL team build me a 571HP machine.....2 wheel drive 2770 LBs with A/C 6spd close ratio transmission, CD player, PW, SR........ 4.85 HP/lB much stronger than the newest GT2 but still short of George 911V8. Hey George what kind of gasoline do you burn.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 09-10-2001, 11:23 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Along the same line, my Unocal station where I buy my 100 octane ($4.80/gallon) sells 110 octane and 118 octane (for cheaper). It is, however, leaded.

What are the affects of leaded gas in our engines? Is this a catalytic converter issue?

TIA.

Quick Reply: Cup car Gas: Info from Porsche Motorsports