Sponsored by:

Ego Boost....Grin.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 11:48 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 164 Posts
Talking Ego Boost....Grin.

I thought you guys would find this funny...I was walking out to my car tonight, and a guy in a brand new, (I mean straight off the showroom floor - only 155 miles on the ticker), white 996 pulls up as I'm coming up to my car and asks me in a seriously jealous tone:

"Wow, what a great looking car, is that the new 2002 ?? Where'd you find it ??"

After a good chuckle and a short explaination that my polar silver '95 C2 Cpe was, in fact, 6 years old -- and consequently no threat to his ride, we got to talking and traded spins around the block.

After about 1/2 hour of fun, we parted ways...and a new 993 addict had been anointed. Grin.

(Of course I had to take 'er home for a bath after that compliment!! )

One for the road boys and girls...

cheers,

sean
Old 09-06-2001, 12:01 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fun story, but more aptly named "My Porsche admirer is an ejit".
Old 09-07-2001, 12:49 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

An example of the type of morons buying many high price cars - strictly by the name without any knowledge of history.

Should have told him it WAS the new model - he might have offered you $80K for it!

Story offered by a salesman at local Porsche dealer - he says many conversations are along the line of:

"Hi - can I see the Porsches?"
(salesman shows him a car)

"Wow, this looks great - can I hear the stereo?"
(salesman demonstrates)

"Boy, this is great. I'll take it!"
Old 09-07-2001, 02:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry

I'm totally w/ Ray here, good 'boost' for you Sean, but what an a** that guy was! I mean really, how stupid one can be?!

I hate that kind of thing when people have so much many that they can do anything w/ it & then don't have any kind of apprecitiation what they have.

Someone could easily sell Mazda Miata to that kind of person and as $110k. Guy would be as happy as he is now with his Porsche 996. Kind of sad really.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:00 PM
Yellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Ray too. Alas, there's still too much spare change floating in a fool's pocket in Silicon Valley
Old 09-07-2001, 03:20 PM
Pete @ Andial
Intermediate

JC, Ray, F/Finn,
Why is it that all you guys can do is call other people names? Did you ever consider that this is supposed to be a discussion forum?. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but, try and have an original thought every now and then.

Pete
Old 09-07-2001, 03:34 PM
alex 95 993
Track Day

Normally I would think someone is an A$$HOLE when they act like one!! Where in the initial post did you get any hint the guy acted like one? He shows a genuine interest in the 993 and then they spend half an hour comparing their cars. Gee I guess that really makes him an idiot. The guy might have too much money and not appreciate the car he bought but that doesn't convert automatically to being an A$$HOLE.
Having followed these message boards for the last year I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that there are as many, if not more "poor", porsche-purist A$$HOLEs out there as there are "rich" unappreciative porsche owners.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:53 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
I find poseurs who only impressed by pricetags to be off-putting.

I also find people who are smug and superior about their knowledge off-putting as well.

Sean's encounter was funny, especially if you're aware of the 993/996 controversy.

But maybe that guy was a newbie.

Maybe that guy was at the beginning of a learning curve that we've all been on.

Who knows, maybe one day he'll be one of the most knowledgable posters on this board.

Go back and read Sean's post. The guy appreciated the looks of the car. They had fun driving each other's cars. He left impressed.

That guy didn't sound like a jerk.

Now read some of the other posts.

Mike
Old 09-07-2001, 03:56 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Alex,

you beat me to the "add reply" button.

Sorry to be redundant.

Mike
Old 09-07-2001, 05:24 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 164 Posts
In point of fact, I found the gentleman (who shall remain nameless) to be of the newbie variety -- he'd owned 3 sports cars prior to the 996 (a Nissan 280, a Nissan 300Z, and a Toyta Supra if I remember coorectly) and had just bought the his first 911.

He wanted a new car, but prefered the styling of the older 911s and particularly the 993, but couldn't find any "new" models when he looked (not realizing that the air-cooled cars had ceased production in 1998). It turns out that's why he approached me - he thought I had a new 911 in the body style he liked.

Of course, after driving a 6 year old car and learning a bit more about how reliable the 993 series has been, and a little bit about what the used 911 market looks like - I think he was a bit at odds with himself for not doing more homework before the 996 purchase.

He was an amicable guy, certainly not a "I have more money than God and I can do what I please" type. Hopefully he'll be showing up on this board soon...Grin.

cheers,

sean
Old 09-07-2001, 05:31 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Having read the responses here I realize my errors, and I would like to retract my statements against the guy in the story. I was just throwing out an off the cuff remark, kinda playfully.

Futher, anything negative I said about that guy I would like to displace onto Pete because it has to go somewhere.
Old 09-07-2001, 07:59 PM
Pete @ Andial
Intermediate

Originally posted by JC in NY:
<STRONG>Having read the responses here I realize my errors, and I would like to retract my statements against the guy in the story. I was just throwing out an off the cuff remark, kinda playfully.

Futher, anything negative I said about that guy I would like to displace onto Pete because it has to go somewhere.</STRONG>
JC,
Unlike you I have never resorted to name calling.You do not realize because of people like you I get eight to ten e-mails a day because some people dont like to be flammed by you or a lot like you.

Pete.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:31 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

That guy didn't sound like an a$$h0le at all. He was obviously not really educated about his Porsche, but the car is obviously new and he probably doesn't know very much about the marque. Maybe he never will, but at least he showed a genuine interested in someone else's Porsche.
Old 09-08-2001, 02:18 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys - don't look now, but the vast majority of Porsche owners are not "enthusiasts," are not particularly Porsche knowledgeable, & don't care to be. That doesn't mean they're not enthusiastic about their cars, don't appreciate them, or don't "deserve" to own them.

Moreover, it's the purchase of Porsches by "those" people that has kept Porsche in business to keep the enthusiasts enthused.

Ignorance warrants education, not ridicule. Just my $.02 on a topic that seems to have headed in an unfortunate direction.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:56 PM
Richard C4S
Instructor

A previous boss left me a button when he moved on with the aphorism: "ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever." I've held onto it for a long time as a personal guide. Hope we can all learn from this thread.
Richard 1996 C4S arena red

Quick Reply: Ego Boost....Grin.