Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'M CONFUSED.TOO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON 18" WHEELS AND SIZES! CAN WE CLARIFY???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 01:28 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Question I'M CONFUSED.TOO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON 18" WHEELS AND SIZES! CAN WE CLARIFY???

Ok Guys and Gals,
Being the newbie that I'm in the 993 community I'm extremely confused!!!!!
I recently bought my dream a 1995 993 cab and I'm browing the boards like crazy for advise...
Since I love DE's(did them with my 968), actually the next day i bought my car I had a DE!, I'm looking to install a roll cage, seats, belts and the PSS-9 suspension with the RS bars thanks to you guys and your valuable postings...
So with all the above pretty much sorted out I'm still confused about the tires and rims.
I realize that the 18" I want on my car need additional brackets in front. But the sizes elude me!!! Some say even 265's rub, others dont. Some say 285's rub , others dont!
So I'm confused!!!!! Can we straigthens this out? given the fact I'm going to have the PSS-9 installed with proper lowering height etc what should I do???
Your help as always appreciated...
Old 12-22-2001, 03:05 PM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Factory Sport 18's on my '95 C4. 7.5x18(50) front, 10x18(65) rear, shod with 225/40 and 265/35 SO'3. I spent a lot of time on decieding on this combination. More width up front and you can't turn lock to lock and will definitely need steering rack brace (993.347.131.02). Rears turned out to be a different animal. My CAB is not lowered, however, rears are rubbing inner lip of fender on supension compression. Wheel Enhancement thought there would not be any problems with 265's even with a lowered car. They were also against going wider in the rear as this would upset handling ballance at the limit. This turned out to be spot on, as car's handling characteristics where unchanged. Just better stick and overall improved handling, love the SO3's! Rubbing is slight, may be able to roll lip a little without getting too deep into this and have to visit the bodyshop. Will see? Hope this helps. PT
Old 12-23-2001, 08:43 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing to consider about the 993 is that it was hand assembled and not all the fenders fit exactly the same. In other words, a wheel/tire combo that works on one car may not work on another car. For comparison, I have a 96 coupe that is lowered using H&R springs on the US stocks (going to be changing to the PSS-9’s after Christmas ) and the factory hollow spoke 18” wheels with 285/30 P-zero’s on the rear. No rubbing problems at all.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:20 PM
brandon
Instructor

PD2FLY,
I'm curious, you said your front rims are 7.5" and you have no "lock-to-lock" turning problems. I often see the turbo 1, and look alikes (a.k.a. technology?) advertised as 8" and 10" sets (front/rear). Would the 8" have caused wheel well interference problems for you with your current set-up? I'd like to move to the 18" wheels and eibachs if the combo works on a "plain old" C2.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:49 PM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

Flash, Either way your probably good to go with 7.5 or 8 inch. The Wheel Enhancement folks expressed 7.5 would present no problem for sure and that 8.0 would work as well. A slug a 993's are running around that way and no one seems too concerned, with or without the brace. I had a deal on the 7.5's and tire size of 225 is the same for either width. PT

Quick Reply: I'M CONFUSED.TOO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON 18" WHEELS AND SIZES! CAN WE CLARIFY???