Engine shutdown noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:41 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

Thank you very much for your input. I agree, trying to diagnose over the internet is difficult at best, but for some of us, that's the best we've got. If I were anywhere near a professional to get an experienced 993 opinion, I would be there in a flash. Have you ever considered Kauai as home for a second shop?

As evidenced by some of the other replys, even experienced "mechanics" have misdiagnosed the clutch/DMF problem. What I wanted to know from you has been answered, though, and that is it might not be the DMF, which in some small way is a source of relief of sorts. Thanks again for weighing in on the topic. As always, you provide this board with much valued advice for which I am extremely grateful. Mahalo, Steve.

I will continue to track down the source of this noise and keep a watchful eye/ear for any signs of a deteriorating condition.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:47 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default noise on shutdown

hello, i have have a mechanical noise at shutdown also, but for what its worth i belive it to be piston skirt slap as porsche has high compression p/c. after shut down there is no burn that helps put a load on the top of piston and during shut of as the engine slowing down you hear the this noise. i have dual mass flywheel with 19000 mile and my clutch works perfect. i think this is normal. i hope this helps. high compression engines do make a noise that is associated with engine shutdown!!!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:38 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch
hello, i have have a mechanical noise at shutdown also, but for what its worth i belive it to be piston skirt slap as porsche has high compression p/c. after shut down there is no burn that helps put a load on the top of piston and during shut of as the engine slowing down you hear the this noise. i have dual mass flywheel with 19000 mile and my clutch works perfect. i think this is normal. i hope this helps. high compression engines do make a noise that is associated with engine shutdown!!!!!
Does it happen when the clutch pedal is depressed during shutdown?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:40 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just heard the rattle. I pressed the clutch and it didn't rattle. My car now has 18K miles. Hope its not the DMF.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:51 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Apparently this DMF rattle is common in 911 p-cars cars, if the engine rocks from side to side briefly and clatters after shut down, it is likely to be the DMF and I was told by my mechanic that most of the cars do this a various points in their lives, it is not nessasarily a sign of wear, just the design of the car, and is nothing to be worried about. I wasn't sure that Tips had a flywheel, but they apparently do!?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:45 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This "shutdown clatter" phenomenon is normal and not a sign of any problem. If you find it annoying it can be eliminated by pressing the clutch pedal. This issue has been discussed since the early days of the 993 forum. In fact it was one of the first questions I asked about when I got my 993 and the "regulars" here at the time (Robin himself) informed me that is was normal even for new and very low mileage cars.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC in NY
This "shutdown clatter" phenomenon is normal and not a sign of any problem. If you find it annoying it can be eliminated by pressing the clutch pedal. This issue has been discussed since the early days of the 993 forum. In fact it was one of the first questions I asked about when I got my 993 and the "regulars" here at the time (Robin himself) informed me that is was normal even for new and very low mileage cars.

Thanks for your input. Not so much an annoyance, but wanting to know if it is linked to a problem, which from most replies, it is not.

I've taken the "wait and see" approach to this and will continue to hope it is "normal". sigh... guess the LWF will have to wait.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:35 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have trouble starting the car after the "DMF Noise" has occoured at shutdown, or am I barking up the worng tree in my diagnosis?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Cy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gabi,

I've never had the starting problems that you describe after the DMF rattle.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Engine shutdown noise