Sponsored by:

OT: Which station wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 01:24 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a Subaru Outback 2.5 XT for 5 months and have loved it. Very comfortable, quick enough to shock many sports car/sedan owners, great interior, reliable, and so on. It also has a boxer engine that makes great noises under hard acceleration, something you won't get from the V6s and V8s. While not loud, there is a distinctive boxer roar above 5000 RPM.

It is turbocharged, but you'd never know it given the torque that it has all over the place. This is not the grown-up WRX that some seem to think it is. I got the stick, but you might go for the manumatic if you don't enjoy shifting gears all the time like I do. Do get the XT with leather, "panorama" roof, and so on.

For any of these cars, drive them when you get to the short list. Suggestions from a list like this are great, but basing a purchase decision on them is unwise.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:56 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the first to drop off the list is the ML320. What extra does this give you over the 4-Matic E320? The 2001 E320 is also one of the best made MBs of late (far superior to the ML). If it's AWD you are looking for, doesn't the 4-Matic provide you that security?

The E-class has one of the best loading areas. Square and flat.

The Subaru is very popular and well engineered. I think the decision for a practical car like this should also include running costs including depreciation. On these points, I reckon the Subaru and MB should probably be quite closely matched...
Old 01-10-2005, 02:19 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If cost is not an issue then there are two easy answers:
- AMG E500 Estate - the MB E500 on steroids: 4WD, 450hp, aggressive body styling and wheels, prob $100-115 new, and available only by invitation last time I checked; or
- Audi RS6 Avant - 450hp twin turbo, quattro 4WD, not officially sold in the US but a handful have been brought in and certified...prob about $90-125 all-in as these are available used in Europe.

On the other hand, if you are looking for bang for the buck in the used car market then I think the Subarus and Audis would win out (not the RS6 of course) - Subarus b/c they are generally cheaper to start out with and Audi b/c they have poor resale value (I would hesitate leasing or buying a new Audi). On the other hand, you can get a brand spanking new Dodge Magnum for only a little more then the cost of a used European car and you get the full warranty....interiors is ugly IMHO though and also it's one of the new "in" cars w/ younger guys. Also, if you decide 4WD is a must have, make sure you drive them all...not all 4WD systems give similar performance.

(btw I don't think the MBE320 has 4WD....I briefly looked at it when shopping for my S6 but the lack of power and 4WD ruled it out, not to mention rumors of iffy MB electronics)

Quick Reply: OT: Which station wagon