Sponsored by:

Cab owners - several questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:45 AM
rainmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab owners - several questions

Been playing around with the top on my new to me cab (In the heated garage...I've only managed to get in one quick top-down ride so far. That's what happens when you buy a convertible in NJ, in December.) I have a couple questions on the boot:
Is the flap that tucks in behind the seat (When the windstop is not in place) normally such a pain to get back there? I had to tuck in each corner, and kind of slide it side to side to work it down. This seems to be the worst part about installing the boot. Much easier with the windstop in place to just tuck that flap underneath the boot, however I have small kids, who love to ride in convertibles.
The snaps that are inside the car: I am apparently missing three of them. One of the pair that are right above the speakers was broken off the rivet and stuck in the boot. I've already pulled that side panel and drilled out the rivet, so now I'm going to call World Upholstery to see if they have a replacement.
The other two that are missing are the ones all the way in the back, almost behind the seat. The only way I can figure that these were attached was by the screw that holds the panel in place back there. No broken pop rivets, no holes. The snaps on the boot seem to line up with these screws. Is that right? Also - are these even possible to snap? They look like they will be difficult, at best. Probably has something to do with why mine have broken off.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

On my 964 I fold the seat back down, let it fall in place then put the seat back up again. I assume the 993 is the same.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:07 PM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimq
On my 964 I fold the seat back down, let it fall in place then put the seat back up again. I assume the 993 is the same.
I wish it was the same.
Our seats don't fold down.
I tuck the sides first and then put the flap behind the seats.
It is a pain, but it protects the head liner and its also better for my kids.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:07 PM
cavokay
Track Day

I drive with the boot off most of the time, but just got back from a 4000km trip and was using the boot daily - unfortunatley, I discovered that attempting to raise the top with the boot on results in pulling the rivets from the side panels above the rear speakers... I guess the same could happen to the rear snaps. Fortunatley, I only pulled one rivet before realizing what I was doing... I am pretty sure that the snaps at the rear of the seats are riveted on - so I guess yours were broken off at some point and a screw put in place instead of replacing the snaps ?

Can't offer anything re boot without the wind deflector - I've never had mine off.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:26 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

PET for my 95 cab shows:

Two Snaps inside car above speakers are #99950739317 and $1.29 each @ pelican parts
Two snaps on top of door trim (just behind door windows) are #99959183517 @ $1.00 each
Two snaps on rear of car (above engine comp) are (I think!) #99950748500

The last one shows "superceded" on pelican, gives a price of $1.00 but no new part number...odd.

I'd double check the local dealer to make sure this info is right though.

When you guys say "snaps at the rear of the seats"... do you really mean the snaps above the engine compartment??? My car has no snaps excpet for wwwwaaaayyyyy back there!

HTH,

Clive.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:19 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Clive, no, not the snaps above the engine compartment.
My boot has snaps that line up with the very rear-most corner of the inside panel that holds the rear speakers. The car, however, has no snaps there..only the screws that attach the panel. I'm assuming that there were snaps held by those screws that have since pulled off, although I'm not sure.
Even if I do put snaps there, I'm not positive I'll ever be able to get the boot snapped to them, due the location. They are almost behind the rear seats.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 PM
aubrey993
Advanced

Now I'm confused. Perhaps you could post a picture.

My boot only has 1 pair of snaps inside the car (above the rear speakers) the balance are around the outside perimeter of the cab top.

Maybe you have the incorrect boot/cover?
Old 01-06-2005, 01:40 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by aubrey993
Now I'm confused. Perhaps you could post a picture.

My boot only has 1 pair of snaps inside the car (above the rear speakers) the balance are around the outside perimeter of the cab top.

Maybe you have the incorrect boot/cover?
Very possible that this is the wrong boot, since I bought the car used. It does fit well, and has the right openings for the windstop though. I'll post some pics in a couple minutes..have to go and put the boot back on again.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:00 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Aubrey993,

I second that. My cab top has two snaps at the rear upper engine compartment, Three Tennax studs on each side, and then two snaps on each side internal to the car. One of these is just behind the door/window location, the other just above the rear speakers.

I also just looked closer on PET to see if there are different tops for 964/993 models (in case theres a difference that might explain things... and found out something interesting....

PET shows the boot cover looking like this.... part #99356112300...

which looks different from mine as I don't have the two central "suspender" clips, and mine has a definite break in the central "edges" which allow it to fold back to fit the windstop.

THen, it also shows another part number #99356112301 which is listed for a model with option code 335 (three point rear seat belts) - which I'm sure I have .

I suspect there is a difference (maybe) between the fold down rear seat option and the fixed ones m(with the three point harness in back).

I also found a photo of one on ebay that looks like mine..

What type have you got?
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2005, 02:05 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Clive, that first boot picture you posted is identical to mine. If you look very closely at that picture, you can even see the snaps I'm talking about. They are at the corners of the two flaps that are folded in.
Here are pics of mine on the car, maybe this will help. The first one is with the two flaps tucked in behind / next to the seat. The second is with them pulled out slightly to show where the snap is.
Attached Images   
Old 01-06-2005, 02:17 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

INTERESTING!!!!!!

Same as mine..... BUT..... mine does not have the two snaps in the lower rear section of the flap shown in your second picture.... (and I didn't notice the ones in the photo I posted either! Yes, you can *just* make them out, I see that now)

Does anyone else have one like this... I not seen any like this, but then again my exposure to other 993 cab owners is a bit limited.

I don't see any mounting points/snaps in PET that would line up with these either... but then again PET doesn't show a picture of what my cover looks like either!?!?!?!?!!?

odd? I think so....perhaps someone else can chime in...

Clive.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:18 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of your male snaps are broken or missing, you can have an auto upholstery shop put in new ones. When I did it the cost was not that much...they have special tools and the small cost was not worth the hassle of a DIY. I also had them reinforce the boot material by the side rear speaker (the female snap that attaches speaker can pull out of the boot if you are careless when removing it...the previous owner of my 98 cab was careless ).
Old 01-06-2005, 02:20 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

P.S.

That cover looks brand new!

Mine looks OK, but the top itself looks brand new - I guess the previous owners used it like they should, top down and boot on! Just the way I like it!

Shame it's a bit colder in NJ than on the left coast.

Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad my rear seat folds down
Looks like it makes life alot easier. By the way my cover doesnt look like either of those examples.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:48 PM
aubrey993
Advanced

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
INTERESTING!!!!!!

Same as mine..... BUT..... mine does not have the two snaps in the lower rear section of the flap shown in your second picture.... (and I didn't notice the ones in the photo I posted either! Yes, you can *just* make them out, I see that now)

Does anyone else have one like this... I not seen any like this, but then again my exposure to other 993 cab owners is a bit limited.

I don't see any mounting points/snaps in PET that would line up with these either... but then again PET doesn't show a picture of what my cover looks like either!?!?!?!?!!?

odd? I think so....perhaps someone else can chime in...

Clive.
Clive, my boot is identical to yours.

Quick Reply: Cab owners - several questions