993 Forum 1995-1998

Trip Odometer Bulb Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 12:26 AM
wldmn12
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Trip Odometer Bulb Out

My dad has a 95 993 Cabriolet Non-Turbo 2 Wheel drive. His auto-dimming light behind the trip odometer and multi-function readout has gone out, so it is very dim, almost unreadable. Is it possible to replace the bulb? Do we have to replace the entire auto-dim unit?
Old 08-29-2002, 02:52 AM
bbeckmann
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me too. I assume you're talking about the trip computer underneath the tach.

This can be fixed. My mechanic did it in about 30 minutes. I imagine any speedo shop can do it. If not, I can give you the contact info for my mechanic, and maybe you or your mechanic can call him for help.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:24 PM
sandman
Advanced

Bobby

I have exactly the same problem with my on board computer display. Do you know how your mechanic solved the problem?? Was it a bulb replacement? Any information will be helpful as my mechanic is stumped.

Thanks

Sandman
Old 08-29-2002, 01:04 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Sandman,

I thought your problem was solved???

When I was doing the On Board Computer retrofit DIY, I took my tach apart and saw the bulbs that light up the on board computer display. If bbeckmann's mechanic solved his problem in about 30 minutes, I'm assuming that all he did was replace the bulbs.

To access the bulbs see below:

If you remove your tach from the dash, you will see two screws in the back that you can remove and take the tach apart. Once the tach is apart, I think you need to remove three more screws to remove part of the tach's circuit board and access the bulbs for the display. Sorry but I don't have the bulbs part number (look in the Pet CD).
Old 08-29-2002, 02:25 PM
bbeckmann
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if the fix was a bulb replacement. This was before my DIY days, and I just wanted it fixed.

I do know that they got progressively better at it. The first time I went in, they didn't know how to fix it, then they said it would take 2 hours to fix, and then when I went in, they had it done in 30 min. (Still charged one hour of labor!)

I'm happy to give you his contact info. Just shoot me an email.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:09 AM
Schwabe
Intermediate

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem on my computer display.
There is a small bulb on the backside.
It was a one hour job for the Porsche Shop to replace it.

regards
Juergen
Old 08-31-2002, 08:23 AM
sandman
Advanced

Thanks Again keith

I havent changed the bulbs yet because I am still trying to get them. Owning the only 993 in India can be a bit of a problem when it comes to spares. I did pass your information on to my mechanic but he was still stumped. Guess I will have to do the job myself. My car is a tip do you know if I have to remove the steering wheel to get the gauge out??

Thanks again

Sandman
Old 08-31-2002, 12:19 PM
neunelf
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by sandman:
<strong> Owning the only 993 in India can be a bit of a problem when it comes to spares. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Sandman I'm curious, did you buy your car in India or have it imported?
Now the tough question, where is the closest dealership?
Old 08-31-2002, 05:06 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by sandman:
<strong>Thanks Again keith

...My car is a tip do you know if I have to remove the steering wheel to get the gauge out??
Sandman</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes you still need to remove the steering wheel to get the tach out. The bulbs should be part number 964.641.920.00 or 999.631.027.90. I'm not sure which one.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:09 AM
sandman
Advanced

Dear Brad

My car was brought in from England. We do now have an official Porche rep in Bombay and you can import cars through them. They are now about 4 boxters here but no 911's. Officially they could repair my car (the wire harness and alternator was replaced by them) however since they have no experience with the car they have to consult Porche in Germany. An hours job would therfore take a week for them to sort out. Therefore thanks to this incredible forum I solve most of the minor problems myself. I also pick up all my spares in England as I travel there quite often.

Sandman

Quick Reply: Trip Odometer Bulb Out