Sponsored by:

front end sound over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 08:59 AM
Ken Wise
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post front end sound over bumps

Whenever I pass over longer,flatter speed bumps or when there is a dip in the road I hear some sort of sound from the front of my 96 CAB. Almost sounds like the car is bottoming out/scraping yet there is no evidence under the car of any problem. I even thoght perhaps the spare/tools/air compressor may be bouncing around but I doubt that since the speed is normally minimal. I do have updated 18in wheels with P-Zeros but I didnt think that should be a problem, Any thoughts? Thanks.

Ken
Old 12-19-2001, 10:26 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ken,

My '00 996 does the same thing, very strange. I have the US 030 with Eibach springs. I discussed this along with all of the groaning noises that are coming from the front end of my car, with the fellow that did the alignment. He said that as I stiffen up the suspension, there would be noises. Not for sure if I buy this though???

Best regards,
Scott
Old 12-19-2001, 10:52 AM
Francesco
Advanced

Guys
this is caused by dyied-out/worn front Anti-RollBar (Swaybar if you're in the US) bushes.
You have two options:
1. Remove them, clean them up,grease with Vaseline and refit (Rubber).
2. Replace them for new ones. They only cost around £15 ($22).

Personally for the money and hassle involved I'd go for option 2. I initially tried cleaning my originals up and this worked...........for a while !! Since replacing them for new ones I haven't heard a whimper (1 year ago). Be sure to get the correct part numbers as the various 993 models use different diameter Anti-Rollbars and hence different bushes. They vary between 20,21,22mm. Don't specifically know about the 996's but I'm sure it's not much different. Without naming names, certain people on this board may be able to supply you with the part numbers.

all the best
Old 12-19-2001, 11:05 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Francesco,

Is it possible that the bushings would need to be replaced after only 15k miles?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-19-2001, 11:18 AM
Francesco
Advanced

Scott

my car had only done around 10k km's !!! I'm 99% sure that's your problem. It sounds like the car's scraping. It's been discussed on this board many times in the past.

regards

Francesco
Old 12-19-2001, 11:19 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Scott,
Mine on my 993 needed replacement with very few miles >10K. According to my shop it was a pretty common problem for the 993's.
Greg
Old 12-19-2001, 11:24 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Hello Ken
We installed a set of aftermarket springs (H&R or Eibach) in my brother's '96 cab and heard similar noises over bumps. The noises were not there prior to installation. Ended up replacing the aftermarket springs with the euro m030 setup and all was well.

Jim
Old 12-19-2001, 12:31 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

For those of you who had this problem, did the scraping sound only happen when the car was cold?

I have a similar sound in the morning, and I wasn't sure if it was the infamous creaking windshield or not. My sound appears to come from the front of the car (and over bumps in the road), but I had been going by the advice that sounds like this were usually windshield-related. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:57 PM
Francesco
Advanced

Kevin

Good point. Mine was most definitely worse when the car was cold or used first thing in the morning. Just change the damn things as they don't cost much and it's half an hours work.

regards

Francesco
Old 12-19-2001, 02:17 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts
If you want to try the lubrication route first, make sure you use one of the Wurth products. I think it's Wurth 2000, you can get it from carcareonline.com. I've had the same problem, but only when the car is very cold, and even then, just for a few miles.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:15 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Greg,

Put her up on the lift today, and all bushings, front and rear look good. I did find out that there is a service bulletin for the top spring plates though. I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to let them have a look see at these.

I am really having a hard time deciding whether to leave the set-up (US 030 w/ Eibach springs) that I have, or going with the ROW 030, or going with H&R coilovers, or possibly installing RUF's suspension package. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Scott
Old 12-19-2001, 06:30 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Technical Service Bulletin #49605, April 96, "Creaking/Grinding Noises in the Front Suspension" addresses this problem:

"Creaking or grinding noises from the area of the front suspension can be caused by rotation of the stabilizer in the stabilizer rubber mounts. These noises can be more pronounced in cold and wet weather. As of the following VIN numbers, a different stabilizer rubber mount with a reduced preload on the stabilizer bar is installed in production.

WP0AA2 99 7 SS 32 3709 Coupe
WP0CA2 99 7 SS 34 2592 Cabriolet

If a customer complains of grinding or creaking noises in the front suspension of vehicles produced before the above mentioned VIN numbers, the stabilizer rubber mounts should be replaced. Use Vaseline on the mounting surface of the stabilizer bar prior to installation of the rubber mounts.

If a complaint of creaking or grinding noise from the front suspension is received regarding vehicles produced after the above mentioned VIN numbers, an inspection of the rubber mounts should be made. If the rubber mounts are severely deformed, replacement of the mounts is required."

Part Information:

Stabilizer Mount (M 491) 964 343 792 20
Stabilizer Mount (Standard) 964 343 792 21
Stabilizer Mount (M030 and Turbo) 964 343 792 22

Warranty Information:

Damage Code 4080 10 0002
Labor 4080
Operation 20000
T.U. 40

Good luck!

Old 12-19-2001, 06:52 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Thanks Anir. My car was produced just before the date of the change (last 4 digits 3529) so that hopefully explains it. I imagine since the long time elapsed that this is no longer a warranty matter though.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by scott watkins:
<STRONG>
Put her up on the lift today, and all bushings, front and rear look good. I did find out that there is a service bulletin for the top spring plates though. I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to let them have a look see at these.

I am really having a hard time deciding whether to leave the set-up (US 030 w/ Eibach springs) that I have, or going with the ROW 030, or going with H&R coilovers, or possibly installing RUF's suspension package. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Scott</STRONG>
Scott,
Not sure if you can really tell by looking or not, on my car I think it was a problem with the compound of the bushing. Good idea to get it check out, these little problems can be aggravating.

I would probably go with the H&R coilovers if you do many track events, it seems to be a good compromise. Not heard anything about the RUF suspension, but I would guess it is another companies stuff with the Ruf label. maybe a specially valved Bilstein.

Good luck,
Greg
Old 12-19-2001, 07:29 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin,

Perhaps, the dealer will cover it under goodwill. It's worth a try. I just had my broken door check strap rewelded by the dealership at no charge to me.

It's an inexpensive, straightforward job if you decide to do it yourself. The stabilizer mounts (964-343-792-22 for the TT) only cost $3.98 each from Don Rosen (list $4.98), and replacement took about 60-75 minutes. And Vaseline, well, that's cheap, too!

Best of luck, and Happy Holidays.

Quick Reply: front end sound over bumps