Sponsored by:

Naive helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 02:22 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Naive helmet question

This may be a naive question but, I have several full face "motorcycle helmets" but I do not own a "car racing" helmet. I plan on doing some DE events this year. I am wondering if a "motorcycle" helmet is suitable for track use, or if I need 2 separate helmets
Old 02-07-2002, 02:38 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I think I address this issue in a post on <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002180" target="_blank">this </a> thread.

E. J.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:52 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

E.J.
I did read that thread you are referring to, however, I am still trying to figure out the difference between the 2 types of helmets, provided they both are full-faced, and have nomex liners. If it's just as sipmle as "motorcyle" helmets are designed for motorcycles, and "car" helmets are designed for car use, so be it. I am not opposed to adding another helmet to my collection, I am just trying to be thorough.

Thanks for the help.
Evan
Old 02-07-2002, 03:24 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Evan,

I don't know of any Motorcycle helmet lined with Nomex. the other difference as Dan pointed out is that a motorcycle helmet is designed for one hit - meaning the riders head hitting the ground etc... and the car helmet is designed for multiple hits like a drivers head bouncing off the roll bar a few times.

If you are just starting out with DEs, I would see if your region allows you to run motorcycle helmets. If so then go for it. When you get serious, you should probably upgrade. If they don't then you should invest in another one soon.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

E. J.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:39 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some PCA regions (like mine) permit M helmets for DE use. As EJ said, check w/your event organizer.

According to the Snell Foundation, the 3 major differences between M & SA are:
1. SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
2. SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
3. SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.

If you are hungry for more info:

<a href="http://www.smf.org/" target="_blank">Snell Memorial Foundation website</a>
Old 02-07-2002, 04:00 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

Thanks for the education, and all the feedback. I will definately ask those questions, then go from there.

Evan

Quick Reply: Naive helmet question