Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the latest thinking on best tires for the 993?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Bridgestone SO3s are are my choice over the Pilot Sports. I had the Michelin Pilot Sports and hated them - they were slick, wore quickly, and performance plummeted with wear. The SO3s are much stickier and have maintained performance throughout their tread life. I just replaced the S03 rears after 13 months on my daily driver. I only got about 7 months out of the Pilot Sports (sorry, don't have mileages at the moment). The only negative I have found with the SO3s is slight tramlining when they are low on tread.
You must be talking about the original Pilot Sport which is an inferior tire in most respects. Then again, I thought the S-03 wasn't that much better either. At any rate, the Pilot Sport Rib, the Pilot Sport PS2 or the Bridgestone S-02A will all make your S-03's feel like an all-season tire.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Eric86Red911
I remember seeing a couple threads where Viken among others stated that certain S02's shouldn't even be considered in the sport tire category, which is clearly a harsh rebuke.
As much as I disliked the original S-02, it was the S-03 that I don't think belongs in the maximum performance tire category.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jonathank2000
I've had both and I prefer the Bridgestone. It was more of a comfortable ride even after tread wear.
Assuming you're talking of the S-02A, that's also been my experience. I've had them on my other car down to the wear bars with no noticeable degradation in comfort and noise. They are excellent tires for just about any sports car.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
You must be talking about the original Pilot Sport which is an inferior tire in most respects. Then again, I thought the S-03 wasn't that much better either. At any rate, the Pilot Sport Rib, the Pilot Sport PS2 or the Bridgestone S-02A will all make your S-03's feel like an all-season tire.
Mmmm...so much for the week-old SO3s I now have. Dang! I shied away from the S02A because of experiences from others regarding the S02. Looks like the SO2As are far superior then, eh? Thanks for the info.

And yes, I had the Pilot Sports, not the Pilot Sport Rib. Maybe I should have clarified.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:21 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took just went through the same decision and deceided if the PS2 were available in my size I would get them, but they were not so I went with the so2a's and so far I like them very much.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:40 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car had brand new S03s when I bought it, if not I would have bought Pilot Sport Cups. A lot of guys use them on the track with great success. Last more than a season. I don't dislike the S03s for any know reason at this point, but I think there are better performance tires available.
I suggest your choice be based only on performance not tire life. A few thousand miles more out of a lesser performing tire makes no sense for a pleasure car. I'm assuming this is not your daily driver.

BTW. Have you done the suspension yet?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Mmmm...so much for the week-old SO3s I now have. Dang! I shied away from the S02A because of experiences from others regarding the S02.
Don't you hate when that happens? I have continentals on mine that came with the car. I don't hear ANYBODY talk about these tires. I guess when they wear I'll get some S02As.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have any of you guys with the SO3s experienced the awful tread squirm that the tire has during the first few several (700- 1000 miles). I love the SO3 after the first 1000 miles...but the squirm is just terrible to start with....just my opinion. Oh yeah...'97 Coupe with 225/40x18 and 285/30x18, hollow spoke turbo twist wheels, spirited street driving.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Don't you hate when that happens? I have continentals on mine that came with the car. I don't hear ANYBODY talk about these tires. I guess when they wear I'll get some S02As.
Ahh-yup! Well, it's just as well. I only replaced the rear and had to match rear to front anyhow. But come this time next year, it's looking like SO2As for me.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric86Red911
Can somebody refresh our collective memory on which S02's are so disliked by some? I remember seeing a couple threads where Viken among others stated that certain S02's shouldn't even be considered in the sport tire category, which is clearly a harsh rebuke.
I can attest that the PS2s ride better and stick a LOT better that the SO2s. Even going up one size to 235/295s, the ride is much better. And the quietness! No more road rumble at speeds under 20 mph. Maybe the S02As don't have the rumble problem, as their tread pattern is different. The PS2s are darned expensive as well.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:22 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Allen- I had the same problem as well but it went away after about 500 miles. After that I've been quite happy with the S03's, but my car is more of a daily driver as opposed to a track weapon.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:54 PM
donsacto
Racer

I recently had the PS2 235/295 installed on my widebody. Cost a pretty penny but so far have been very happy with them. They seem to stick very well in dry and wet and have very little road noise compared to my worn P-zeros. I don't know how often you change tires but consider that Bridestone and Mich will likely stop making SO-2A and Pilot Ribs soon so what happens if you need to replace one or two tires that are no longer made????
Old 01-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default More input...

I have had really good like with the Kumho Ecsta MX. Relatively inexpensive and they seem to wear well. They are a little noisy...but not too bad.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:35 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by donsacto
I recently had the PS2 235/295 installed on my widebody. Cost a pretty penny but so far have been very happy with them. They seem to stick very well in dry and wet and have very little road noise compared to my worn P-zeros. I don't know how often you change tires but consider that Bridestone and Mich will likely stop making SO-2A and Pilot Ribs soon so what happens if you need to replace one or two tires that are no longer made????
well that sucks....

I have really narrowed my choices down to the pilot ribs or the SO2As.... the SO2As are standard original equipment on the 996 turbo and Ferrari 360 Modena... so I figure they got to be pretty good... but then MIchelin is Michelin...they (in my experience) make good high performance tires... I had the PS2s on my E46 M3, and loved them. However, i do like the idea of going with Porsche OE... wish there was some kind of review on the pilot ribs and SO2As...other than what I saw on tire rack, cant find much comparing the two...
Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add some fuel to the fire and say my next set of tires will be BF Goodrich G-Force TA/KD. I believe it was Greg Fishman (a driver whose opinion I value when it comes to tires) that said he was very impressed with these tires. It sounds like a good tire for track/street use without going to R-compounds too soon.

Quick Reply: Whats the latest thinking on best tires for the 993?