Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Those who think 993's are losing value...

Old 01-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there, done that with supercups, didn't need them. I was concerned for the other Rennlist members who clearly wanted them. So I guess your finger goes up to them as well?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:43 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax fellas, not a good way to start the New Year.

Mr King: "Can't we just all get along?"

You know the one who didn't have a dream but got one anyway.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Love it, Alan!! :-) :-)
Old 01-03-2005, 04:51 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Alan- here's some elaboration on what I mentioned above. These are '96 Cab prices from October. Maybe later tonight I'll post the equivalent chart from July03. I've made a modest attempt to correct each data point if that particular car had some valuable options, so that the data points are representative of "base" models. The corrections didn't really affect the results much.

At any rate, the line was a few thousand $$ higher in July 03.

--E
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking Kudos to Eric.....

That Urban Dictionary is incredible. The Supercups are going out tomorrow, all clean and shiny!

The pricing graph, very useful, thanks.

Blickie ....please don'r set Eric off...he is relentless!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Sorry, blickie, although some of Eric's posts in the past may have been, um, curt, I didn't find his first post in this thread to be rude in the slightest. And I'm not going to get in a debate over whether or not his statement is true.

Also, Eric has a right to buy whatever he wants, regardless of his 993 ownership status.

So, when do you think you'll receive enough value out of Rennlist to become a member? A quick check of the threads you've started shows that it sure seems as if plenty of your questions have been answered.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

But Mark, we were such buddies previously when we ran Agro off together!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

But that doesn't mean we have to embody the spirit of the person who was run off.

It's nice to be nice...
Old 01-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking Its nice to be nice

"But that doesn't mean we have to embody the spirit of the person who was run off. It's nice to be nice." ....well put Mark.

The sad part about Agro1, a neighbor of mine, he has an extensive driving CV, knew lots of stuff and could have been a Rennlist resource. I spoke to him the other day; he seems to be doing well without us.

Many a time I wanted to write some smart *** remark , but let it go...the Rennlist spirt took over , and besides I don't want John or Viken to punt me off the Board. I am a Rennlist addict as you may have surmised.

Happy New Year to one and all, Agro1 too!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:45 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Back to the topic. As I have posted before, I have been offered lots for my C4S. I do think well-kept cars with complete records, whether 96, 97, or 98 will do better than other cars, at least among the cognoscenti (of course, I have no idea if I spelled that correctly). And face it, not many of the S cars were made, and good ones are getting harder to find. It makes sense that they will depreciate slowly, relative to other cars. They are, no matter how good the 997, the last of a breed, and despite the relative HP difference, etc, they still perform pretty damned well (a lot better than most of us can drive).

In short, no surprise a nice car commands a high price.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

My last comment as I exorcise AGRO1 from my body- Stu, who started the thread, was full of vim and vigor and a positive experience about the resale of 993s. Eric comes in curtly and rudely says "sorry....etc"
I am confused, Mark in Baltimore, you call folks on this type of behavior all the time. Martin, you are right, I will from now on try to let the spirit of Rennlist wash over me. Cheers.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:11 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Geesh you gotta give it up Blickie. My comment was no ruder than the original poster's ("Those who think 993's are losing value are wrong!" ). Those who've seem me post will expect that if I make a terse statement like that, that I'll back it up. If you read the above, you'll see that I backed it up. And I have lots more pricing data if you're interested. It's perfectly fine of you to call B.S. on me, but your comments were very troll-like (i.e. needlessly inflammatory and off-topic). No hard feelings.

p.s. I'm not gonna quit buying 993 parts, however.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Tool, not troll, comes to my mind....No hard feelings either.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:12 PM
kary993
Drifting

From a purely unattached perspective I have to say that I agree that 993's are loosing their value. I do not evaluate my 993 in terms of dollars as it provides me with much greater pleasure, excitement, and all out fun than the amount of money could ever do. Maybe 993's are slower than other cars in depreciation, but nonetheless they are loosing their value. I do not see people investing in 993's that drive them on the street as a form of wealth building. I think those that believe their expenditure for a 993 is an investment are not really evaluating the reality of the current value of a 993 nor the inflation of the dollar as compared to when they bought the 993, nor the amount of money to keep the car maintained and adequately modified

Please do not misunderstand what I am saying, I love 993's, and as I said, they might be holding their value better than other cars, but they are loosing their value in a real monetary sense.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disclamer: Fairly new poster...not a troll (paid my membership fees).
I'm of the same opinion as Eric. It's a widely known fact thhat cars are going to depriciate. Mostly due to the simple fact that they're cars, not real estate, not collecables (yet), just widely mass produced cars. There are always going to be a few examples of stellar vehicles which will draw top dollar, but for the most part, average prices will drift downward.
There are SCs listed for $8,000 as well as $18,000, all depends on the condition as well as the buyer.

PS. I've got a bunch of random parts laying around for cars I don't own, but may own again some day. Does that make me a bad person? NO
I knew I was buying a 996 3 months before I actually went out and bought it. Prior to picking up the car I bought many things which I found to be either GREAT deals or neccessaties. Just because someone with a 996 was slow to respond to a listing, does not make me feel any worse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Those who think 993's are losing value...