Sponsored by:

Question: Wheel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 03:29 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered some Carbon x. Will give it a try, and follow with rejex or wheel wax. Will let you know if I like it.

Thanks for the rec.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:08 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Alex and Stedge,

Let me know how you like the Carbon-X product. I use it in a 20:1 down to maybe 10:1 concentration.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:54 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

First, my wheels are high polished (non-clearcoated) Kinesis SuperCups. I was amazed at the amount of pitting after just one month. Tried several products to get at the pitting but all were useless. Then, as I seem to do with all cleaning products, I searched Autopia and Rennlist for wheel cleaning related threads. Search led me to 4 basic products and this past weekend I used 2 of them....

Wheel Wax (www.wheelwax.com). Ran across this product on a Rennlist search. One of the salesmen is a member. Called him, told him the issue and he went through all of the finer points of the products. He said that the Wheel Wax would get the pitting (black stuff...) off and then provide future protection. So, I tried this first. Although it did do a decent job on some of the pitting, it just wasn't getting it all. Luckily, he suggested that I get American Racing's Metal Polish just in case. Now this is a a great (bit messy) product! Any and all pitting is no match for it. Followed it with Wheel Wax. The Wheel Wax is supposed to make routine cleaning easier. We'll see...

My .02
Old 12-31-2004, 12:05 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Lightbulb

When I wax my car with Zymol I do the wheels too. Cleaning couldn't be easier although it will vary with different wheels. I run MY02 17inch wheels with plently of gaps to get inside.

The last stage of my wash is the wheels. I use a micro fibre rag with just clean cold water - no detergent - same as for the rest of the car. To get inside I use a sheepskin feather duster purchased from Bunnings (I'm in Australia) and water. Brake dust just wipes off. After cleaning I then use an electric garden blower to blow the water out of the disks and wheel lug holes.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:00 AM
BrianB
Instructor

Here is a link to the Carbon-X product Mike Cap mentioned above http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....D=344&CATID=96

I think I'm gonna give it a try. I have 2 other cars in my family that generate a lot of brake dust. It seems I go through wheel cleaner like water. This product seems like a great value.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:20 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
First, my wheels are high polished (non-clearcoated) Kinesis SuperCups. I was amazed at the amount of pitting after just one month. Tried several products to get at the pitting but all were useless. Then, as I seem to do with all cleaning products, I searched Autopia and Rennlist for wheel cleaning related threads. Search led me to 4 basic products and this past weekend I used 2 of them....

Wheel Wax (www.wheelwax.com). Ran across this product on a Rennlist search. One of the salesmen is a member. Called him, told him the issue and he went through all of the finer points of the products. He said that the Wheel Wax would get the pitting (black stuff...) off and then provide future protection. So, I tried this first. Although it did do a decent job on some of the pitting, it just wasn't getting it all. Luckily, he suggested that I get American Racing's Metal Polish just in case. Now this is a a great (bit messy) product! Any and all pitting is no match for it. Followed it with Wheel Wax. The Wheel Wax is supposed to make routine cleaning easier. We'll see...

My .02
I am in a similar situation with my new rims...
Please let us know how things turn out... Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 02:57 AM
nman413
Drifting

I just got new wheels. Yay. Once I get a chance to clean them (use P21S), I plan on using RejeX and posting xxx hot pix.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:47 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, have you had a chance to give a Carbon-X try? How did you like it? Thanks!
Old 01-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 548 Posts

I have used P21S, Griot's, and just lately Carbon-X. Thanks Mike. The Carbon-X works out the cheapest by far, even at 10:1 mix. They all work about as well for spray on, rinse off, but nothing beats the brush and elbow grease. I should wheelwax or Rejex them, but have not got around to it.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:32 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Terry, for the feedback.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:10 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I've have every wheel product listed on this thread and probably two dozen more. There's nothing magical about any of them. The important thing is picking one which is ph balanced. And weekly cleaning is the trick. Letting the brake dust bake on with repeated heat cycles will make it harder to remove. P21S works good but is pricey. I like Sonus, myself. It doesn't have that "take your breathe away" chemical smell so many cleaners have.

When choosing a wax choose one that is heat resistant so it will last longer. Carnaubas are not. None of them. Use a polymer. Even Wheel Wax brand is not that durable. Klasse All in One and Zaino are far more so. Klasse and Wheel Wax have solvents to clean as they are being applied. RejeX

In fact, weekly cleaning (and waxed wheels) will allow you to usually get by with using the leftover auto shampoo in your wash bucket. (You do use shampoo, right? You should!) This is even gentler on your wheels and wax.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:25 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brad, thanks for very good info(URLs are very nice too). What would you suggest using to remove baked brake dust and wheel weight glue residue? After trying different stuff I think only refinishing will help - somehow that might not be such a crazy idea since I have minor road rash on the wheels. Also do you take wheels off to clean/wax the inside of the wheels behind the spokes?

Thank you!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:14 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, I remove the wheels for a full clean and wax twice a year.

There are a myriad of products that get the sticky stuff off. I use a solvent called Acrysol most often. It's paint safe and used by dealers to remove residues on new cars. You can use Goo Gone, Isopropal Alcohol, I even use aerosol brake parts cleaner. Works great and will not harm the wheels.

For the baked on dust I usually use the aerosol brake parts cleaner. I spray it on medical swabs (like Q-Tips on steroids--just bigger heads on a 6" wooden stick. Get them at the pharmacy) and scrub hard. Works more often than not. You can also use a polishing compound like you would use on your paint. Rub in back and forth motions only with a foam applicator.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Brad, once again.

Quick Reply: Question: Wheel cleaner