Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy (OT) - Scam Alert; Tax Related

Had this passed around at work.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Special Alert to the Public
_____

The Department of Treasury recently received an alert from the Internal Revenue Service about a fraudulent scam being conducted via E mail that you should be on the look out for:

Some taxpayers have received an e mail from a non-IRS source indicating that the taxpayer is under audit and needs to complete a questionnaire within 48 hours to avoid The assessment of penalties and interest. The e-mail refers to an "e-audit" and references IRS form 1040. The taxpayer is asked for social security numbers, bank account numbers and other confidential information. THE IRS DOES NOT CONDUCT E-AUDITS, NOR DOES IT NOTIFY TAXPAYERS OF A PENDING AUDIT VIA E MAIL. THIS E MAIL IS NOT FROM THE IRS. Do not provide the requested information - this may be an identity-theft attempt.

If you receive an e mail of this nature - the source may be the address blesstheday.com, please contact the Internal Revenue Service office in
your area.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:33 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would the IRS use the email domain "blesstheday.com" to send official emails? I mean you have to be kinda stupid to fall for something like that, no?
Old 02-06-2002, 01:18 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I rec'd the exact email u r talking about last week, I also found it suspicious!! I deleted it without opening, I will try to retreiev it and contact the IRS Dept. as you suggested!!

Thx for the heads up!!

Quick Reply: (OT) - Scam Alert; Tax Related