993 Forum 1995-1998

Drive or ship car 1,800 miles home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:00 PM
williet1342
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I'd ship it...Just my 2 cents

They are great cars...but 1800 miles is a bit much and might actually be a turn off for you and the new toy. I'm a tall wide person, but even if I were small etc...I wouldn't do it. Three hours up the coast getting the most out of the car...that's one thing, but a long "grueling" ride in any small car is not cool. Just my 2 cents. Plus you will be in territory where you'd be less likely to kick it since it will be at least somewhat unfamiliar areas. Most P-car owners have an SUV for that purpose or a performance sedan just because even though we hate to admit it 3 days straight in a p-car with a friend and a deadline for him and you etc...is just not cool. This could also ruin your trip by running up on Ole Smokey Bear and his ticket book. Either way order a V1 Radar unit. NOW!!! It pays....

Don't think about the money to ship it either, it's a non-issue in that these cars require bucks one way or the other. Accept that, and ENJOY the performance of a 993. It will be there in the garage for years to come and you can set your own time frame to drive it. OK I'll shut up.

Cheers from the Low Country of S.C. This stuff makes me wordy.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Ship It

If the car is new to you and with the weather uncertainty in January, I would ship it via Horseless Carriage or Intercity.........I've driven new Porsches home from Brumos, but at age 55 that was a strain for one day.....a driving partner is a" no-no " for me......

I am flying out next Friday to drive a Porsche home but it is only 194 Miles

Ciao
Old 12-30-2004, 09:08 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like you have time constraints and weather uncertainty; that would really stress me out if I were to drive the car in those conditions as I would worry about the risk to the car too much to enjoy the drive. If you didn't have to worry about the weather I would drive it but weather in your neck of the woods changes rapidly and I would definitely not risk the car if the difference in expense was just a few hundred dollars. I would ship it.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:28 PM
nman413
Drifting

I have driven 1500 miles in 3 days (twice). About half of those were track miles It's perfectly doable and I can honestly say that I'm really impressed that my car was able to get me to a track, drive hard all day, drive to a different track, drive hard all day and drive home.

In case anyone is curious.. it was
1) 1 day Thunderhill, 2 days Big Willow
2) 2 days Buttonwillow, 1 day Thunderhill
Old 12-31-2004, 08:45 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your analysis of the 'cost' of driving it back doesn't take into account the 'experience' you will get. A roadtrip in a car designed for this sort of thing! You'll never forget driving the car across the country and that is priceless.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

If you're concerned about the weather, just go to Yahoo Weather and see if it's clear! No problem mon. If it's going to snow, just postpone the drive a few days till there's no snow! Salt on the road? No problem, mon. When you get back, it's called a hose. Just hose it off! No big deal.

Driving it would be fun, but then again, 1800 miles isn't the 725 miles I drove mine back from Chicago to DC. That is ALOT of miles. If it's overwhelming to you, DON'T do it!

Easy decision. You be the judge

Steve

Quick Reply: Drive or ship car 1,800 miles home?