Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche recalls 18'000 993 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My appointment is for an "inspection to see what it needs" at Pioneer in San Diego on the 15th and I will report back on my experience.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
UPDATE v 1.1:

Recall A502 completed today.
Parts list:
2 @ 911-565-214-60 Targa Roof Pin
1 @ 000-043-300-44 DC Motor - PWR T

Are these the part numbers and descriptions that coincide with your recall repairs?
FB,

Did it take very long for them to complete the work? Do they have to remove much interior to get to what they need to replace?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2005, 10:42 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Less than two hours. Others should please post the parts used for comparison, I can't believe I'm the first.

Originally Posted by Joe S.
FB,

Did it take very long for them to complete the work? Do they have to remove much interior to get to what they need to replace?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2005, 10:53 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Mine goes in this coming Wednesday.. will keep you all informed.

Clive.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:10 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm curious, has anyone received an actual recall notice from PCNA?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks FB.

When I called to register my new address with PCNA last week they did tell me about the recall.

I have to put the car back together to take it in though...
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2005, 11:04 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Joe S.
FB,

Thanks
To get to the motors you only need to remove the headliner strip (2 screws, several clips).
The whole thing can be done in 30 minutes, I'm sure.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Update: Top done today...

Recall #A502: Recall on locking motors on top R&R * locking motors on Cab top.

*(remove and replace)

Doesn't look much different, but from the "sound" of it, it seems to lock better (if that's a fair description!). It definitely sounds "firmer" and "more positive" when the two locking arms catch on the top of the windshield frame and "suck" the top down.

For what it's worth, there are three ways this work can be done, according to the paperwork I briefly saw when I dropped it off. Depending (I think) on how worn your "pegs" are, it might need one, both or no pegs replaced (mine weren't) in addition to the motors + a re-alignment if necessary (and I don't think mine did, it was pretty true before).

I reason that Porsche has created a single retrofit part number for the motors (even though the descriptive text says motor [singular]).

Looks like 0.7 units of labor in addition to one off 000-043-300-44 DC MOTOR - PWR TOP L.

At least that's what my paperwork says.

Just have to make sure I don't do anything silly on my first autocross this coming Saturday...

Clive.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:04 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealer had to order parts for me... cool that 'pcna' is actually doing a recall. remember a while back a few cab owners mentioned that their tops came ajar @ high speeds; although i have never exp. it... this should hopefully be the fix.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Nemick42
Instructor

Dumb question here. Am I correct in thinking that I do not have to be the original owner of the car to qualify for this recall? I have a '97 cab and have been having trouble with the left side latch rattling over bumps, although the roof hasn't opened or anything like that.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:03 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemick42
Dumb question here. Am I correct in thinking that I do not have to be the original owner of the car to qualify for this recall? I have a '97 cab and have been having trouble with the left side latch rattling over bumps, although the roof hasn't opened or anything like that.
not dumb @ all. recalls follow the car...believe you can register w/ pcna as the owner. (that way you would be informed of recalls, etc. via mail)

take your 993 to the nearest dealer & simply tell them you've brought it in for the recall. & the latch should not rattle, maybe occasionally some 'spring' sounds from the side but that shoud be it.

may want to check & see if the 'wire harness recall/fix' has been performed while you're there as well.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Looks like 0.7 units of labor in addition to one off 000-043-300-44 DC MOTOR - PWR TOP L.

At least that's what my paperwork says.

Just have to make sure I don't do anything silly on my first autocross this coming Saturday...

Clive.
Clive, I hope you're right, but it sounds to me like only the left motor was replaced. I know my left motor is much weaker than right and my roof pops at anything approching 90 miles an hour (or if a hit a decent bump or expansion strip).

Have fun at autocross! It's a great way to learn the car and get better as a driver. If you have any questions or concirns, just ask!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:35 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

I just got my recall notice today. Guess the new owner hasn't registered with PCNA yet.

JoAnne
Old 02-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Patentman
Instructor

I notice Mike and Vic are from Boston. I got my recall notice yesterday. Is there a preference of Claire over Chambers or Ira dealerships for some reason or is it simply your location? I live in Westborough, so any place is a hike for me, but if I have to go, I will probably have Chambers handle it since I can make use of time in the city. I also need an oil change (just hit 20K miles on my 98 cab) - do you use an independent for oil changes or would you recommend having this done at the dealer as well during the top recall fix? What does an oil change cost from a dealer?

Is there any other suggested dealer tune ups that should be done at 20K on these cars since a dealer will be doing the top fix? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:46 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had Chambers do the recall on the wiring harness last summer ... I also had the airbag service performed at the same time. They were very disorganized when I was dropping off the car, and I got it back unwashed and with the gauge containing the airbag warning light reinstalled crooked. At the same time, my cab top wasn't working (I had converted it to manual at that point) and I asked them to take a peek at it, and the tech just wrote "needs new motors and cables." I don't think he so much as glanced at it. I think it's the "change it instead of adjust it" mentality at play.

I don't know if I would use them again, but I can't say Ira would be any better; we took my girlfriend's Audi TT in there for the 30k service and had them put new tires on all around. Driving home on Route 3 at 65 mph, the car developed such a ferocious shudder I thought we had a flat, but the tires were fine. Turns out they didn't have the left front wheel seated correctly on the hub when they tightened the lug nuts (presumably with an air impact wrench instead of by hand) and it was about to fall off the damn car. They seemed unimpressed when she called to bitch about it.

I like Jerry at EPE in Natick for non-recall stuff ;-)

Vic

Quick Reply: Porsche recalls 18'000 993 Cab