Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one touch power window up/down

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 09:09 PM
jhb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much and where can you get one, I might be interested in trying it out.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:38 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by jhb:
<strong>How much and where can you get one, I might be interested in trying it out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

jhb
The link above posted by Curtis is to the installation instructions.
Here's a link to the <a href="http://www.smartcart.com/Paragon/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=944WE" target="_blank">Window Express order page.</a> The price is $50 (+ shipping I assume). As Curtis mentioned the install text says it fits a 911 since "the wiring is all the same," although the order page doesn't mention a 911. If you decide to go ahead as our tester, you may want to call or email <a href="http://www.tech-session.com/Paragon/contact.htm" target="_blank">Paragon Products contacts</a> to confirm fitment. Obviously, keep us posted.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:24 AM
ads 993
Track Day

Sounds like a great idea. I just ordered a pair of controllers. If they don't work on the 993, they will go into another car.

Will keep you posted. It will however take me about 3-4 weeks before I can work on it. You guys are a great resource.

Cheers
Old 03-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for stepping up, Ad. I'm anxious to hear how/if these work in the 993....might even put one on my roof.

Keep us posted and thanks for taking one for the team!
Old 04-02-2002, 10:38 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry about the late response on this subject, took me several days to remember to bring my own Auto roll down module to work so I can take some pictures.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the picture of the auto roll down module from Paragon's web site from the link several posts up.

A while back Gert and I had worked on a project together, which was to provide auto roll down function for the 993 cars. Gert came out with the wiring design, and I built two prototypes for testing. I had the unit installed in my own 993 for about a year before I took it out. It works exactly like the Paragon unit!

Gert's original design idea was to use the Bosch relay to act as the window switch to keep the window down for the auto roll down, and use a capacitor to act as charged battery to keep the relay going, in actual testing I found that we couldn't find a capacitor in this particular package size to keep enough electricity to keep the relay closed, so we added a 2nd series of relay and capacitor. And I also added a potential meter (variable resistor) in the circuit to control the amount of charge the capacitor will received based on how long the window switch is pressed.

So, basically when you press down the window switch, it will charge the capacitor circuit, and the longer you press the switch down for the more juice there will be to keep the window rolling down on it's own. In end I was able to get the window to completely roll down automatically by keeping my finger held on the window switch for about ¼ way.

When I made the prototype I also made special connectors so that they were plug and play with the factory window switch, so no wires needs to be spliced, and the kit can be taken out without a trace. The kit in the picture basically shows the module for the driver's side, which contains two separate circuits that will take care of the auto roll down for both window switches on the driver's side.

We decided not to proceed in making the kit for the following reasons. (1). Liability of the window motor, (2). The kits were too time consuming and complicated to build, (3). Really redundant considering how fast the 993 windows rolls down.

Below are picture of the prototype I built based on Gert's design. Notice how similar it looks compare to the Paragon unit?

Paragon's auto roll down unit

My auto roll down prototype

<a href="http://p-car.com/diy/ard/ard2l.jpg" target="_blank">
Circuit board</a>

<a href="http://p-car.com/diy/ard/ard3l.jpg" target="_blank">
Box with connectors</a>
Old 04-02-2002, 11:03 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Robin!

Very interesting...I'm anxious to get a real-world experience from Ad on this thing....

Curtis
Old 04-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Regarding the Window Express Kit available through Paragon Products:

- Vehicles - the design allows it to work on any Porsche 12v power window system (there is also a kit available for most domestic and other import cars which is basically the reverse polarity of our Bosch/European systems)
- Operation - Automatic operation - Press switch in the up direction and release. The window will travel up until it is fully closed. Press switch in down direction and release. The window will travel down until it is fully open. Partial operation - When window is traveling up press the switch down momentarily. The window will stop where it is. When window is traveling down press the switch in the up direction momentarily. The window will stop where it is.
- Installation - the only variables are wire color, location, and secure fitment into the door panel. The unit is quite small, but so is the space it's going in to. We always appreciate feedback of any nature on the actual installation and impressions of use.
- Safety - If the window is obstructed during its travel it will stop when stalled as if it had reached the end of its travel, this is a safety feature that operates if you get an arm or hand caught etc.
- Contact - if you would like any detailed information about the design, or its origin, please forward your requests on to Martin Taylor - the Window Express designer/builder.

Martin Taylor - porsche@globe.net.nz

A complete installation guide is available at Tech-Session.com:

<a href="http://www.tech-session.com/Paragon/Tech/win_express.htm" target="_blank">Window Express Installation</a>

Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2002, 01:00 AM
ads 993
Track Day

Talking

Hi all,

I just finished installing the paragon unit into the driver' side. So far it works really well with one touch operation as described above. The unit is completely plug and play and can be easily removed. The most challenging parts were removing the door panel and fishing the ground wire through the rubber conduit.

I must say that although the unit appears to work well, I'm a little dissapointed with the packaging. 1. The box is not sealed
2. The box is somewhat bigger than the circuit board which rattles inside if shaken.

However both of these problems are easily fixable as the box can easily be opened and sealed with silicone.

I took multiple pictures but I do not have a website and don't know how to post them here. I'll be happy to provide the pics and further info for interested parties.

Robin, would you be interested in the instructions for your DIY section?
Old 04-14-2002, 06:39 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Ad

I would love to have the details (mike.mcginty@bluemail.ch) as I think I may have been the one that got Robin started on this a year ago (after "borrowing" my wife's jeep for a week I had found the feature very useful)

Thanks

Mike
Old 04-14-2002, 06:39 PM
jhb
Racer

Thanks for the update, how long did it take you? I'm interested in the pics myself.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:55 PM
ads 993
Track Day

It takes about 2 hours per side. I just installed the same controller on the passenger side with similar results.

It will take me a day or so to write the instructions with pictures and then I will e-mail them to you guys.

Cheers
Old 04-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by ads 993:
<strong>Hi all,

Robin, would you be interested in the instructions for your DIY section?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would be glad to host the instructions in the p-car. DIY section.

Just e-mail me whatever you've put together already.

Thanks

Quick Reply: one touch power window up/down