Last Suspension Question - I Promise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
I don't think there is a non adjustable suspension that will eliminate the gap between the tire and fender completely in the front.
Yes there is...if by non-adjustable you mean rebound and compression. If you mean threaded shock bodies then you are correct. Here is another option that would work well but is often overlooked for some reason.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93002.htm

I would also add that buying from Gert is a pleasure and the guy could teach seminars on customer service.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:25 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

all good info guys.... thanks

I realize it may not be rational, but I dont like the idea of add-on sleeves from third parties (not a commentary against Hergeheimers, just a general opinion)... even the thought of added threads on Bilsteins makes me a little hesitant, but I got to believe based on reputation that GERT (and Bilstein) would be putting their name on them if they werent quality.

The more I look at the front fender gap, I am not sure I can live with it... the back is not a concern for me, but since the Euro M030 w/ regular Bilsteins will drop everything proportionally, I am afraid I will be looking at the same problem, just a little lower (ie. front too much gap compared to rear)....

So, it looks like I will probably go with the GERT version. Thanks again all for the advice...
Old 01-16-2005, 02:15 AM
smead42
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bilstein says that the extra thread models will be in the USA in a few months.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:18 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smead42
Bilstein says that the extra thread models will be in the USA in a few months.
This is interesting, I wonder what the price difference will be here.

Mr. S, I feel your pain as I went through the same agony as you before making my choice. FWIW, I went with the full stock ROW M030. When my shocks are done, I will be glad to have the Bilstein threaded option locally. At the time I was looking for my set-up, apples to apples, the cost from Gert was WAY higher than I paid here in So Cal. Search on my screen name and M030 and you will find all the details of my purchase.

Mine is 100% daily driver/canyon carver. Looks wise the front could be a slight tad lower but I find that even at this ride height I have to be very careful in driveways otherwise I scrape and completly aviod parking space wheel stops. I do have a FPB.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I would use Porsche Motorsport or Gert on all elective surgeries....the perches will work fine also but You will end up redoing your suspension later anyway and want the adjustability along with it.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
all good info guys.... thanks

I realize it may not be rational, but I dont like the idea of add-on sleeves from third parties (not a commentary against Hergeheimers, just a general opinion)... even the thought of added threads on Bilsteins makes me a little hesitant, but I got to believe based on reputation that GERT (and Bilstein) would be putting their name on them if they werent quality.

The more I look at the front fender gap, I am not sure I can live with it... the back is not a concern for me, but since the Euro M030 w/ regular Bilsteins will drop everything proportionally, I am afraid I will be looking at the same problem, just a little lower (ie. front too much gap compared to rear)....

So, it looks like I will probably go with the GERT version. Thanks again all for the advice...
BTW I would only trust Laura at Hergesheimer with my life...nothing more...
Old 01-16-2005, 03:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think that a lot of you are missing a fairly simple and important fact that Devek == Viper Bob.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Radar
Instructor

Originally Posted by nile13
I think that a lot of you are missing a fairly simple and important fact that Devek == Viper Bob.
Why? What can Devek or Viperbob do that others can't? Is Viperbob some sort of God?
Old 01-16-2005, 06:29 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Radar
Why? What can Devek or Viperbob do that others can't? Is Viperbob some sort of God?
Yes.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:33 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Can someone explain to me what the obsession is with ROW M030 springs? For starters, they barely lower the car. Rather than spending large $$ on the threaded shocks, just get a set of Eibach or H&R springs. As you make the car lower, you will want progressively higher spring rates to keep from bottoming out. By getting perches that go really low, all that is being accomplished is allowing yourself to run soft (ROW M030) springs at a low ride height, which means the car will tend to bottom out. If you intend to go to that lowered ride height, get the H&R or Eibach springs that as far as I know don't need the additional threads and will be a little stiffer to compensate for the lower ride height.

As for going so low that the wheel starts to get into the fender, if you are going that low you will have very short suspension travel and to keep from bottoming the suspension should be running race springs and shocks. At that point you'll be throwing out both the Bilstein HDs and the ROW M030, H&R or Eibach springs.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hdemas
Can someone explain to me what the obsession is with ROW M030 springs? For starters, they barely lower the car. Rather than spending large $$ on the threaded shocks, just get a set of Eibach or H&R springs.
Very simple. Quality is the main reason. Eibach springs are junk and H&R is so so. Both are also softer than M030 and not quite suitable for sport shocks. Oh, and the factory ROW M030 springs lowered my car about 30 mm all else being equal. The extra threads allowed for my car to go down to RS specs.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:04 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Viken:

Thanks for the explanation. I had thought both the Eibach and H&R springs were of good quality, but don't have much personal experience with them. Both are fairly reputable companies with good quality products from what I thought. I had also assumed, I guess incorrectly, that they would be stiffer than the ROW M030 springs as generally the aftermarket lowering springs are almost always stiffer than stock.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Tom 993tt
Instructor

With all the chatter about DEVAKand 933's, why does their website only talk about parts and service for 928"s? Am I looking at the wrong site? If so, what is the correct web address?

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Radar
Yes.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:30 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viken
Very simple. Quality is the main reason. Eibach springs are junk and H&R is so so. Both are also softer than M030 and not quite suitable for sport shocks. Oh, and the factory ROW M030 springs lowered my car about 30 mm all else being equal. The extra threads allowed for my car to go down to RS specs.
Viken, do you have the rates for M030 and H&R? I'd like to compare them.
Also, I did have Eibachs on my E30 and fund the quality to be fine. A lot of my competititors use Eibachs on theyr Ground Control coilovers, but those are, of course, different springs, not Pro-Kit veriety.

Quick Reply: Last Suspension Question - I Promise...