What's the bottom line on Monoball ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 01:49 AM
Vinnie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the bottom line on Monoball ride quality

Hey all,

After reading many posts on the PSS-9 and monoball issue, we've really come to no true resolution. So in an effort to just play it safe and get better handling, I'm thinking of adding monoballs to my PSS-9 set up. The question I have is whether or not the monoballs will be too harsh for NYC streets, full of potholes and bumps, enough to beat an egg in the car. Without the monoballs, the car still feels great and a marked improvement over stock, but in taking a hard corner, you can still feel the rear end "squishing" and compressing. Its not as planted or solid as I thought it would, and I'm attributing this to the rubber mounts. Does anyone have any comments on the ride quality and added noise from the monoball set up? Although I like the better safe than sorry excuse as well as a better handling excuse, I was wondering if the benefits out weigh the costs here on harshness and irritating noise. I do maybe just 3 events a year (autocross and DE), but do alot of the taboo drag racing at the strip! The car is driven frequently on the weekends with an occasional trip to the office (80 miles round trip) on the week day! Thanks in advance for any the help.

Vin
Old 08-26-2002, 02:55 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vin,
I added monoball and did not find that the ride became either harsh or noisy. Everything just got a lot preciser. I am glad I did it.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:43 AM
JohnM
Racer

Vinnie,

No harshness, a little more noise from the rear, but if you catch a pothole unawares it feels like the car got hit with a sledgehammer . The monoballs make the damping feel firmer, to get back to a similar ride as before monoballs back off one click on the PSS-9. Bear in mind that the monoballs will be susceptible to corrosion, if you drive the car in winter and encounter salted roads it's best to give them a good coating of a corrosion inhibitor after installation.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:45 PM
Vinnie
Instructor

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely take them into consideration!

Warm regards,

Quick Reply: What's the bottom line on Monoball ride quality