My new Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 06:44 PM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My new Porsche

Greetings to all Rennlisters;
After a couple of months of serious consideration between models I have decided to purchase a 1996 911 C4 6Speed.

I had the option of getting a 996 for as good a price as the 996, this one has 35K Miles and 1 owner, I did not have the chance of doing PPI but had Dave Maynard have a look at it , picked it up from the Manheim Auto Auction and I will be getting it in about 2 weeks via Rail to Calgary Canada.
I have looked at the CarFax and this unit has had the 30K Service done in Boston.
Im very restless till it gets here, just cant wait !!!
I will be looking for advice from all you in the next few months, its almost like getting a mail order bride and then taking the while getting to know her.
Hope shes not that tempermmental or moody.
All advice is apreciated, has the last P car I had was a 1981 911 Targa in 1994
My wholesale cost was 38K in the open Auction whats the thoughts of the Rennlisters??

Merry Christmas from Canada
Old 12-25-2004, 06:47 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome to rennlist, and congratualtions on your purchase...looking forward to seeing your pictures when it arrives! the wait will feel like an eternity, but to help pass the time, you should visit a few of the sponsors here and pick up some goodies for your car...
Old 12-25-2004, 06:56 PM
STAR57
Racer

Thanks for the welcome note, I will be picking up a few options but I will wait till it gets here, first will be a K&N Air Filter, unless it already has it.
Whas your thoughts on the price? has per Dave Maynard he called it a fine car, I will be looking for some anti mod pills from my Doctor as not to duplicate the scenario with my Harley...
Old 12-25-2004, 07:27 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Price may be a "tad" high, but there are probably some on the boards that would know a lot more about pricing for a 96 C4 than I would.... so will defer....

Having said that, a solid PPI and 30k already done, on a car that is the options/color you are looking for is always a very good thing and maybe worth a little premium (?)
Old 12-25-2004, 07:39 PM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having talked to Dave Maynard and worked with him some when searching for my current car, while the price seems a little high, my guess is you got a good buy. It is probably in excellent condition and may have some nice options. I think Dave has a good handle on the market, so you should have done well. Enjoy!!
Old 12-25-2004, 08:12 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the Rennlist 993 group. Pictures please, mods - yes....

What a way to bring in the New Year!!!!
Old 12-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...did you say only 35K miles? If so, you didn't pay much at all...
Old 12-25-2004, 09:59 PM
STAR57
Racer

Thanks!!! I was starting to Think... WTF having a dealers license and being told I may have paid a bit too much, oh well some of the best know dealers in the US were bidding against me.
Dave Maynard looked at it and his opinion was that I got a fair price for a clean car.
Whos got a cargo plane and in the spirit of Christmas pick it up for me and bring here to Calgary ASAP, Im scratching the walls and Im crancky Im going crazy !! HELP GET THE 747 CARGO PLEASEEEEEEEE.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

you did fine, especially if it is the color you want. C4 cars are not as common and if you wanted a c4, then it is worth the extra 2k. Just enjoy the car. I have worked with Dave, he is a very stand-up, straight forward person. He might not extract the last dollar out of a deal for you, but it is more important that he finds a good car than your saving $1-2k and having a problem later.
please post pictures. Happy christmas.. enjoy it
Old 12-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

From a fellow Calgarian, you did fine on price relative to what they go for in Canada....I picked up mine in September (Original Canadian Car), 95 C2 with M030 Suspension, LSD etc. with 63K KMS...Took me over a year to find the "right" one....Unfortunately there is no known treatment for the Mod bug....I thought I was in remission after my last car and was just going to buy a "nice" car and leave it alone...well, the disease raised it's ugly head...the mod have started, be it in a small way (Momo Steering wheel) but the list includes new wheels, supercups, rollbar....God help me !!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:57 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Congratulations Frank, I'm glad you found a nice car. You did contact me when I was selling my '95 C4, but it had already sold.

I spoke with Dave Maynard a couple of times when I was shopping for a car. Although I didn't purchase through him, I thought he was a very honest and straightforward person. I do believe he knows the market well, so I wouldn't worry whether you paid a good price or not - you're in the ballpark and all will be forgotten when you see the car in your driveway.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Frank, My feelings are if you got a good one in your color combo you did pretty well. And if Dave knows the market as well as he should, he wouldn't have bid over what he had to. You sound like you got a good low low mile C4. I think having the C4 is a nice kicker, I know a friend who had a C4 in a cold climate and said it was a must have in his mind. That in itself is worth a couple K, and C4's have the unique factor as well. Another thing on the feel better front, as others have said if you indeed have bought a good one with low miles then you are much less likely to have expensive repairs in your near future. That can mean a lot more than buy in price as you well know.

So Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I'll keep an eye out for your car as it heads up North.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:18 AM
STAR57
Racer

Thank you all for the great words of encouragement, I was sorry to hear that Jasonhad sold his 95 993 a beauty it was.
As soon as I get it here in Calgary I will b posting some pictures, I may even take to Banff for a day of skiing and coffee at Starbucks as well as make some Japanese tourists jealous.

Good Night all
Old 12-27-2004, 03:28 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Frank, ya dun good! Congrats!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:50 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like a pretty fair price if the car has no stories and is in good condition--now you can stop worrying about what you paid for it and start thinking up the excuses you'll use when you spend another $10K on it in mods over the course of your ownership!!!

Quick Reply: My new Porsche