Sponsored by:

Track Preperation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Cisitalia
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Track Preperation Questions

How capable is the 993 to haul all the equipment necessary to go to drivers education events and lapping day events?

I am used to carrying at least 4 track tires/wheels, couple tool boxes, floor jack, jack stands, misc. parts and all the other misc. stuff necessary. The track junkies know what I am talking about. I need to carry the items in the car and trailering the car is not an option at this time. Also I don't want roof racks or those mini-trailers. I previously used a BMW E36 M3 and it had all sorts of room with fold down seats etc.. I know the 993 is less capable in that regard, but there must be a way to get what is needed inside the car?

Will four tires fit adequately in the back seat area? This is the main concern, since I think I can manage the space for the rest of the stuff.

Next, I would like to install a roll bar. Can you still put the four track tires in the back area? I assume if it's a one piece roll bar they won't fit back there unless the roll bar has a detachable center section.

Thanks in advance for everyones help from actual experienced people.

Brad
Old 02-04-2002, 06:10 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not think it's practical at all. Instead drive to the track with your track tires.

I won't say it's impossible because just when you think that someone shows up to a club race driving his 911 with complete pit gear, fuel jugs, extra tires, folding tent and pit crew.

One thing often overlooked is the fact that carrying tires in the back is virtually ensuring major injury and possible death from blunt trauma in the case of an accident. And I mean major like possible decapitation.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Brad
A mini trailer is the best way to go. I have seen guys put 4 tires in there car but it isn't pretty. I know one guy who just removed the passenger seat and stack a couple tires there.
Another increasingly popular option that several of my friends have used is to bring stuff to my house and load it on my trailer or truck
Greg
Old 02-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Cisitalia
Track Day

JC in NY,

Thanks for your comments. The tracks around where I am are pretty close. Yes you are correct, I should drive with my track tires to the track. I will consider your safety comment in all future situations with tires in the back seat area. Or at least buckle those tires up in the safety belts

Greg,

I appreciate your comments. I think I can figure out a way. Just wanted to hear from some people that have had to get by with the basics. I sure wish I live close to you, I would end up utilizing you and your trailer to get stuff to the track.

Thanks, Brad

OBTW: Porsche trivia:

What does the word Cisitalia mean to Porsche history buffs?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:51 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cisitalia, pronounced "Cheese-italia", was a Grand Prix racing car designed by Dr. Porsche in the 1940's and it was extremely technically advanced for it's time but unsuccessful for some reason.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:01 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Driving to the track with track tires is not exactly a safe alternative. I am not experienced enough to speak with experience (only have done a few DE events) however, I have met people at the track, as well as heard many times on this board of people who were caught in the rain, and were scared sh?? the entire ride home. Just another thought.

I think you have two options. Find a buddy like Greg that you can bring your stuff to (not very likely, unless you know the right person) or use the mini-trailer. I know of a few people who do this, and it is fine. It doesn't damage the car, they tell me they drive to the event going approx. 70mph with no issue, and you can put the rear bumper covers back on when you get home.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:17 PM
Cisitalia
Track Day

JC in NY,

That was a fast response. Correct answer. In 1949 Porsche developed the Porsche 360 Cisitalia with a 12 cylinder boxer engine and dual-compressors that was midengine placed. The drivetrain featured four wheel drive. It displaced 1493 cc and had 385 bhp at 10,600 rpm. It's top speed was 300 km/h.

A very cool car, way, way a head of it's time. Kinda a pumped up 917 in displacement w/o 4-wheel drive. Very loosely interpreted.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:20 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I too think the track trailer is the way to go.

E. J.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Cisitalia
Track Day

Thanks E. J.

You guys are killing me!

I must confess, that I should think outside the box (or cockpit sorta speak). I should consider the mini-trailer thing. I guess no one here will laugh at me with that set-up! If it's exceptable in the PCA DE ranks, I will go with it in consideration. Some day the enclosed trailer with tow car???

Thank you kindly.

Brad
Old 02-06-2002, 07:16 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
EJ, can you give me the scoop on your track/Trailer rig? Hope all is well!
Old 02-06-2002, 08:26 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Cisitalia,
I know this is OT, but your name did get my attention. The story of the Cisitalia is quite interesting Porsche history. Designed by Porsche, funded by an Italian Industrialist, and I beleive the funds helped get Dr. Porsche Sr. out of post war captivity in France (although I might be mistaken on that last point).

Beautiful car...looks like a smaller more graceful pre-war Auto Union, which also has its Porsche roots...

Quick Reply: Track Preperation Questions