Sponsored by:

Light Weight Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 11:13 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Weight Wheel Question

I made a really dumb purchase on ebay a couple of monthss back A guy had two 18 x 10 turbo twists painted midnight blue metallic. They looked really good with no rash and I bought them planning to paint the fronts on my 968 to match. I never asked the offset. Turns out they have an offset of 40 and don't fit. How can i tell if they are the lightweight version of the wheel? I have three p-cars, Narrow body 996, 968 cab, and a 97 Boxster. I don't think I can make these wheels fit anything I have, but does anyone know of any spacer that would work on any of these cars? I already have three sets of 18" turbo twists, 2 chrome and one silver, a set of 17" boxster wheels, plus a set of 16" design 90s. I wouldn't mind widening the rear stance of any one of the cars, but don't think I can get these 40 offset wheels to fit anything I have. Any help would be appreciated. If not, I am going to sell them cheap just to get them out of the garage.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The hollow technology wheels have flat spokes on the back.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:37 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi.

I think you are out of luck. You can use a spacer to put nb wheels on a wb, but you can't do it the other way around.

Another hint for a hollow is a sn ending in a 0.

Max911 posted a web page that describes the differences in amazing detail.

Good luck,
Pete

Last edited by ppressle; 12-24-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:56 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
How can i tell if they are the lightweight version of the wheel?
The hollow spoke (lighter weight) wheel has a metal valve stem with a large visible mounting nut at its base against the wheel. Solid spoke has a rubber valve stem (which may, however, have a metal sleeve) which is recessed into the wheel so only a short length is visible.

Here's a pic of the inside of a SOLID spoke wheel. The hollow spoke has, well, a closed (hollow) spoke. If you reach inside & feel the pictured grooves, it's solid, if no grooves, it's hollow.

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Light Weight Wheel Question