993 Forum 1995-1998

Deciding between 993 c2s and c4s -- please advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Mac_993
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deciding between 993 c2s and c4s -- please advise

I am looking to purchase a 993 in the near term.
I am deciding between 993 c2s and c4s models with manual transmission and no rear wing. Am flexible on color. Am targeting below 40,000 miles.

I'd be very appreciative to hear feedback on the following:

Were the turbo brakes an option on the c2s? I see a few for sale that do not have "big red" brakes, but instead have black calipers.

Aside from 2wd vs 4wd, and a small cosmetic rear wing difference, are the cars identical in specification?

How do the driving dynamics compare between the two models? I have been told the traction benefits of 4wd is not very noticable, but that the front of c4s does feel a bit heavier than c2s due to the extra weight.

Is the 4wd reliable at higher mileage (80,000+), or is it problematic.

What was the pricing differential between the two models in 1997 when new? What is it today (roughly)? It seems the c4s would be priced at a premium today as it has 4wd. However, it also seems there is a greater supply of used c4s than c2s which might give the c2s some scarcity value.

Many thanks for your replies, thoughts, and advice. It is most appreciated.
Mac
Old 12-23-2004, 04:31 PM
mborkow
Drifting

can't really make a comparison for you because i was only interested in the c4, but i can tell you that my car is nearing 80k miles and the 4wd has not given me (nor did it give the PO) any problems (knock on wood).
Old 12-23-2004, 05:06 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Were the turbo brakes an option on the c2s? I see a few for sale that do not have "big red" brakes, but instead have black calipers.
No they were not an option.
Aside from 2wd vs 4wd, and a small cosmetic rear wing difference, are the cars identical in specification?
No, suggest you do a search for details. Essentially, the C4S has the turbo running gear and luxury options inside. The CS has basically the split grille.

How do the driving dynamics compare between the two models? I have been told the traction benefits of 4wd is not very noticable, but that the front of c4s does feel a bit heavier than c2s due to the extra weight.
I can only compare it to a C2 I had. I find the C4S more stable and particularly like it when the streets are wet. But this is just a question of taste. Others will prefer 2WD. Suggest you try both out yourself.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This should answer all your questions...

Click Me....
Old 12-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Mac_993
3rd Gear

Default a HUGE help.

Many thanks. Mac
Old 12-23-2004, 05:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Mac. Welcome to the forum. Highly suggest you become a member....this is quite possibly the very best source of information on your new-to-you-to-be 993.

I recommend you search for posts under my forum name (mrsullivan). I ask a lot of questions, so you will need to look for my earliest posts. I was asking the same questions as you about 6 months ago, prior to purchasing my 98 C2S. I drove both (C2S and C4S) during the shopping process. They are both great for different reasons. I will give you my conclusion, which will vary from the next, as this is a personal thing.

The C4S is a better handling car. Feels more secure, more safe, and definitely better in wet climates. Other than the 4wd, the turbo brakes (big reds) are the only significant difference between the two. They look cool, and are ridiculously capable, but, I think overkill for street driving. Dont make your decision on the big reds, because the standard brakes are awesome also.

The C2S has the same widebody, and you could order all the same types of interior options with it. I liked they way it drove better. It feels slightly nervous in the front end...because of the 2wd... some would say thats part of the experience in purchasing an older air-cooled 911.

The only thing that made me consider the C4S was concern about safety driving the C2S...I was worried about spinning out to easy, etc. Looking back now, I have to laugh at all my anxious posts about this. I have driven my car pretty hard in corners at times on remote curves, etc....and it never flinches. I have had absolutely no problem at all with the tail coming out too much or anything like that. I have swung it out a couple of times intentionally, but those dont count :-)

Lastly, you might find the C2S to be a "bit" more collectible car...there were very few made as I understand it, and one in YOUR desired color combination may take awhile to find.

Hope this has been helpful, and again, look up my early posts.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:21 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Mac,

I currently have a 1995 C2 and a 1996 C4 (for sale). I am in Redlands, CA, and you are welcome to drive either or both of these cars if it is convenient for you. Both are wonderful, but the C2 does feel a bit lighter in the front to me. The C4 feels like it has claws on all four corners instead of wheels :-)
Old 12-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

id get a normal c2 -- much better value. I really believe the car was designed as a narrow car and ive read the c2 handles better. If you want a wide body, turbo-look car, then buy a turbo. Why do you want more drag and weight w/o the turbo. The narrow car still has the 'bulge' in the rear. just my opinion..
i had a beautiful c2 before my turbo and loved it
Old 12-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

In the real world the differences in feel and performance are minimal between the 2S and 4S and all the talk about drag, weight and all that crap with narrow vs widebody is academic -- you will rarely if ever dirive where it will make a difference you would notice. When you're not back to back comparing you definitely will not notice. Bottom line, get the one you like. They're all good.

Some minor differences between the C2S and C4S:
You can hang the tail out with a C2S (even if you don't want to sometimes), don't think you can with a C4S. C4S comes with LSD/ABD and Big Red brakes standard. C2S does not. Regarding rarity, of the 14 '98 911 coupe cars for sale on Autotrader today, only one is a C4S. That is typical for '98 cars, the last year of 993 production. Viken, one our "guru" members, has posted, "There were a total of 298 '98 C4S models sold through PCNA." This would compare to 993 C2S for the same period.

Steering feel, little difference. I have driven a friends '98 C2S compared to my '98 C4S a couple of times and they feel the same to me. Maybe other years are different. Personally, I like the looks of Big Reds and though they can be added, I didn't have to go to that expense with my C4S. I like my car's rock solid stability on the road. If I bought a C2S I would definitely want the LSD/ABD option. I also like sport seats. There are several other options that are nice but not essential like different color guage faces, stainless door sills, carbon fiber accents, hi-fi sound, litronic low beams, supple leather seats which are full leather (but they're not sport seats) Porsche crests on the headrests, heated seats, full power seats (not just electric up/down).

Again, buy the specific car you like. They're all good. Just find one in good condition with documented history and do a PPI. My two cents.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

After having an accident in wet weather in my old 88 without all wheel drive (the rear end completely spun out in a light rain on a straightaway), 5 years later when I upgraded to a 993, all wheel drive was non negotiable, I HAD to have it. It's saved my a** a few times in bad weather. I'm so glad I have it.

Steve
Old 12-24-2004, 01:53 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

When I had my '95 993 I remember going to one of the PCA events where you drive your car through various stages, skid pad, braking, slolom, etc. There were many types of cars there, NB, 2S, 4S, TT, etc. The one thing that stays very clear in my mind was when going around the skid pad, where you drive in a circle and try to get the car to spin, is that my 2WD cab would not spin. I had fairly new BFG tires on the car, and it was lowered with H&R springs. I tried, my wife tried, and the instructor tried, she wouldn't break loose. The odd thing is, we did see more then once a C4 cab, and a 4S perform the spin numerous times. Not saying one is more stable then the other, but it was a very interesting to see and experience.
I to am in search of a 2S or 4S, maybe a TT. I have found 3 cars, all 'S' cars I am considering. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be posting a pic of my decision.

Happy Holidays !

Quick Reply: Deciding between 993 c2s and c4s -- please advise