993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrods Prevail In 24 Hours of Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 02:50 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pushrods Prevail In 24 Hours of Daytona

GTS class winner jaguar wins by landslide in todays race. A small block ford with a holly carb is the powerplant jaguar ran in todays race.

GT class winner was a chevy corvette. The pushrod motor wins again.

<a href="http://pws.prserv.net/4play/911chevy/index.html" target="_blank">SWAMP MONSTER</a>
Old 02-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
GT class winner was a flat 6.

American GT was a pushrod.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by George 911-V8:
<strong>
GT class winner was a chevy corvette. The pushrod motor wins again.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry to disappoint you George but the factory backed effort (drivers and tech support) for The Racers Group won 1st in the GT class and 6th overall. There was no Corvette in the GT class.

AGT (American GT) of course was won by a pushrod engine since that is all that is allowed in that class. Great victory for that team and lot of competition as the Flis Motorsports team was over 100 laps ahead of their nearest competition. Most of the entrants in that class never saw the light of day.
The lead GT car finished almost 100laps ahead of the wining AGT car. Those AGT cars are sure a force to be reckoned with...
Greg
Old 02-03-2002, 03:53 PM
Carlos
Banned

Any comment on the Jaguar Greg? GTS had lots of 6 cyl's.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Carlos:
<strong>Any comment on the Jaguar Greg? GTS had lots of 6 cyl's.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Carlos,
I didn't mention the Jaguar because what George posted was correct. The Jaguar Rocket Motorsports team had a great run with three fast and , proven drivers, Gentilozzi, Preutt, and Simo. Their car was obviously well prepared. I like Trans Am and I was glad to see their great effort and result.

A lot of 6 cyls? Were you watching the same race the rest of the world was? Maybe the Saleen changed their engine packages at the last moment and you are the only one to have heard about it.

The two porsches in GTS where a GT1 run by the Bytzek team out of Canada, they were right on the pace with the Jaguar team and unfortunately they lost their engine at 6 am this morning. The other GTS Porsche was a GT3R with no restrictor and a few more Hp. They were betting that the rest of the field would DNF and they could get a class win by just outlasting the field, they finished 42nd, they obviously had some problems, not sure if it was mechanical or an accident.

Any more questions? and please head back to your normal discussions on the Lounge where you threaten everyone from coast to coast, it is very entertaining.
Greg
Old 02-03-2002, 04:39 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

What are you talking about Carlos? GTS is Vipers, Vettes, the winning Jag and Mosler (do you know what that is?). Not many 6 cylinders there. And only one of them beat the class winning GT 911.

Oh yea, don't forget the Saleen and the GT-1 Porsche. I guess you could count that a 6 cylinder.

E. J.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 02-03-2002, 04:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

EJ,
The Mosler is actually a GT car. It was fast but not very reliable, looks a lot like the Saleen, I originally thought it was a GTS car until I talked with one of my friends, who was set to drive one and it was so bad in the test that they bagged the whole thing, and he picked up a ride in the #68 TRG car. The announcer actually gave my friend (Bj Zacharias) some props for winning two National SCCA titles in the runoffs in Spec Racers and Formula Atlantic and commented on how hard it is to get a career going in sports car racing without significant funding no matter how good you are. Hope someone decides to pick him up, he is a great guy and an obvious talent.

Don't pay any attention to Carlos or George they are just here trying to start something since they have worn out their welcome at every other spot on Rennlist.org
Greg
Old 02-03-2002, 04:53 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>The announcer actually gave my friend (Bj Zacharias) some props for winning two National SCCA titles in the runoffs in Spec Racers and Formula Atlantic and commented on how hard it is to get a career going in sports car racing without significant funding no matter how good you are. Hope someone decides to pick him up, he is a great guy and an obvious talent.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I heard that too and thought it was pretty cool.

[quote]<strong>Don't pay any attention to Carlos or George they are just here trying to start something since they have worn out their welcome at every other spot on Rennlist.org</strong><hr></blockquote>

Believe me Greg, I know. Sometimes I like to play along.

E. J.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:57 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

EJ,
I will introduce you to him at the Viper Days Mid Ohio Event. I imagine he will be there, and will get him to give you a ride in my car, he knows that track pretty well and still holds a few records from many years ago. I will have to make sure he doesn't tell you all of the tricks he taught me though! Wouldn't want you to have the advantage

Greg
Old 02-03-2002, 05:55 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

No way the school bus could have the advantage over your car no matter what secrets I learn.

E. J.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by E. J.:
<strong>No way the school bus could have the advantage over your car no matter what secrets I learn.

E. J.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Today maybe, but you won't have the school bus on the track forever. I see a nice 964 or 993 Cup car in your future.
Greg
Old 02-03-2002, 10:58 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by George 911-V8:
<strong>GTS class winner jaguar wins by landslide in todays race.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Look at the provisional results and you will see that the "landslide" victory the GTS car had was only 6 laps ahead of the winning GT car. And only 10 laps ahead of the 2nd place labre-Competition Viper.

<a href="http://www.grand-am.com/events2002/rolex24/provisional_results.html" target="_blank">http://www.grand-am.com/events2002/rolex24/provisional_results.html</a>
Old 02-04-2002, 08:46 AM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
GREG: I agree with you about the margin of victory, but one lap is a lap to many its still a win. The small block V8 pushrod engine is just dominant in racing from winston cup, drag racing, CART and GT, GTS. The numbers along with many victorys tell the truth

<a href="http://pws.prserv.net/4play/911chevy/index.html" target="_blank">SWAMP MONSTER</a>
Old 02-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts
George:
I have to beg to differ with you on the pushrod motors in CART. If memory serves me correctly, the last pushrod motor to win a CART race was the Mercedes-Benz 209 that Penske put in his cars at the 1994 Indy 500. He exploited a loophole in USACs rules which allowed for larger diplacement and more boost in pushrod configuration. This was of course prior to Tony George forming the IRL. In recent memory, John Menard couldn't make his Buick V6s last an entire race. Ari Leyundyk managed to finish in 1995 in a Menard car and stay in front of Jacques Villeneuve for the checkered flag photo (eventhough Ari was at least a lap down).

Quick Reply: Pushrods Prevail In 24 Hours of Daytona