Sponsored by:

Adding an MP3 player to CR-210?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 11:25 AM
jec993
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Adding an MP3 player to CR-210?

I have the original CR-210 radio in my 96 C2 with HIFI option (if that makes a difference). I would really like to hook up a portable MP3 player through my stereo system, but this radio doesn’t have an AUX input so I think I would need to get a different unit.
I’m told that the CDR-220 used in the 993s has an AUX and would work fine. I want to keep the stock appearance, so I don’t want to go aftermarket.

Would the CDR-220 install easily, or would I need wiring harnesses and/or other stuff?

Can anybody recommend where I could look for used (cheap) 993 radios? Unfortunately I can’t spend too much on this project. I checked ebay, but didn’t find anything…

thanks for your help
-jim
Old 08-25-2002, 12:01 PM
FELKER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure the 210 does not have AUX capability? If you have a cd changer then it definitely is not posible, they use the same pin in on the 220/Traffic Pro, but BECKER sells a AUX plug/wiring harness for about $18. SO if the 210 can accept it, these may be the only thing you need.

<a href="http://www.beckerautosound.com" target="_blank">www.beckerautosound.com</a>

"used" cdr-220 for for $200-400 on ebay.

NOW: the BEST solution.... Blaupunkt "SkyLine II" radios.. The LosAngeles is a great radio, and you can buy the BLACK face plate, a "DENVER" face plate . If you need more details let me know. Blaupaukt has a 10gb "MP3 changer", a 10gb IBM mini drive which plugs into the SKyline radio.. really neat solotion for the MP3's. Comes with a PC USB interface/docking station to load..
Old 08-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is an alternative approach, which is to use an FM adapter to convert the MP3 output to an FM broadcast signal. One option is <a href="http://www.myirock.com/players/irock300w.htm" target="_blank">iRock 300W</a>. I am sure there are others out there well. While the sound quality may suffer a little over an AUX input it may be acceptable. I have a CD changer in my car that uses a similar FM converter device and the sound quality is ok. Of course, YMMV.

Quick Reply: Adding an MP3 player to CR-210?