Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reconditioned wheels -- good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 12:19 AM
stinky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post reconditioned wheels -- good or bad?

I'm looking to buy a set of "recondition" 993 wheels to replace my road-rash infested wheels. Usually when somebody says "reconditioned," I get bad feelings. Would this affect the price? $700 for a set of 4 (no rubber).
Old 08-25-2002, 02:26 AM
neunelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my feelings on reconditioning depend on what was done, structurally or cosmetically, to what type of wheel and who did the work.

I recently had a wheel off of my other car cosmetically butchered by the tire shop when they were trying to either dismount or remount a patched tire. It was sent of to get reconditioned and came back visually as good as new. In fact better than new. It looks better than the other wheels which are all quite new.

How it would effect price I don't know.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:20 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I don't think that the additional savings is worth not knowing if the wheels will hold up at speed. "Reconditioned" seems like a catch all term for anything and everything.

Another option would be just to get your wheels fixed. And at least you'd already know the history of your wheels already.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
So reconditioning your own wheels is ok? I just pulled my first bone-head move on my 993 and curbed one of the wheels. No damage except for the finish, but now I have 3 good wheels and one nicely scraped. Unfortunately, if I recondition one, I'll be in a similar situation to neunelf, so I'll probably recondition the set.

Who should I use? Wheel Enhancement? Any feedback on them or others?
Old 08-25-2002, 01:31 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 253 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Chris - 97C2:
[QB]....No damage except for the finish, but now I have 3 good wheels and one nicely scraped. Unfortunately, if I recondition one, I'll be in a similar situation to neunelf, so I'll probably recondition the set.QB]<hr></blockquote>

Why re-paint all four? When I installed new tires a few weeks ago, the shop scratched my rear wheel and they re-sprayed it perfectly! Most reputable shops have the factory Porsche wheel color paint and can match to perfection!

Quick Reply: reconditioned wheels -- good or bad?