Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Quick poll: Alu/Leather Shifter & Handbrake vs MY02 alu shifter and handbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:19 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Quick poll: Alu/Leather Shifter & Handbrake vs MY02 alu shifter and handbrake?

I can't believe it - I asked my wife how much she thought would be an appropriate amount I could spend on a birthday gift for myself on Feb 2. She thought and thought and finally said, uh, $700? I told her that I thought that was a fair amount and she added that she knew I wanted the alum shifter and handbrake. I love this woman . I went onto Carnewal's site and they of course have the combos:
for $790

vs

for $731

I thought these would spiff up the interior of my very dark interior cabin space.
I don't track my car... mostly just drive around town and the occasional highway trip. Which one would you suggest?

This has been a great 2 months for upgrades for me. I never thought I could finagle a new steering wheel (waiting on the leather airbag from Devek), C4S center caps to replace my faded wheel crests, AND the new shifter and handbrake. None of these things I really needed... just wanted them!

So, what's the cheapest way of obtaining these shifter/handbrakes? Anyone selling a combination? Carnewal vs Devek vs ?

OR, just leave well enough alone and spend the money on something else? Is the new shifter set up and handbrake totally unnecessary?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 12-20-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:45 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen some of the 993 alum shifters that were pretty scratched up because the owner wore a ring - something to consider if you wear one. I think the 996 alum shifter would show less scratches since there is more leather. Two other options are the 996 CF shifter and the Techart alum shifter (I went w/ the CF and am pleased)...not sure what they currently go for given the strong euro.

BTW how much is a new airbag from ViperBob? This is for a 996 3 spoke?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:25 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the MY02 but have the one below on my car. It's not important enough to me to change it just like the 3 spoke. All my money goes into other mods
Old 12-20-2004, 05:49 AM
GeezC4S
Racer

I just ordered the Alu/Leather Shifter & Handbrake from Gert last week (3-6 weeks out due to my interior color). Like you, I wanted to spiff up my interior and I prefer this setup over the MY02.

Just my $.02
Old 12-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i put a group-buy together with Gert over the summer for the alum shifter and handbrake. I got the MY02 shifter (i got cf) and the handbrake - looks great and makes a huge difference on the look of a black interior. I think the my02 shifter fits better in my hand, but either aluminum shifter is an improvement - this is a very difficult piece to find used in good shape.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Great information. Thanks guys. We don't have much of a consensus yet though... I'm leaning towards the MY 02 version as I've read good things about it's fit in previous posts.

Responses to the posts so far: David in LA - I hadn't really thought about the 2 Carbon Fiber shifters (took me a few minutes to figure out what CF was - we have our own nomenclature that the outside world [me at times] are clueless about!) but I should include these in the mix:

Carbon/Leather Shifter and Handbrake for P93
For $797

vs the My 02 version CF:
For... gulp... $863

I'd want to stick with one of these 4 shifters, though I'm sure the Techart is nice too. My big question is: if I don't have any other carbon fiber in my cabin, would the CF shifter/handbrake combo look odd in there all by itself? Also, not knowing much about CF in general other than that it's supposed to look cool, high tech and in theory is very light, does the CF stuff peel off after time and is not as durable long term than simple aluminum? Also, I don't wear a ring on that hand so scratching isn't an issue.

By the way, yes, I did get my leather airbag from Viper Bob (uh, does he have a Viper too? Never could figure out that one... ) for the amazing price of $485. I got my 3 spoke wheel (sans airbag) from a 2004 GT3 for $50 from a VERY generous and friendly Rennlister, so that whole combo was very reasonable. Lastly, did you get the MY 02 CF shifter or the regular one shown above with more aluminum? I'll chalk your post up to 1 vote for the non 02 MY CF P93 shifter.

Icerbofh: I got your 1 vote for the regular alum ball shifter keeping in mind I guess you'd think I'm better off focusing on my original shocks (yes - a real mod) rather than upgrading knick knacks in the interior . Yes, don't laugh, they're original shocks at 69k mi. My mechanic said they're fine. I know, it doesn't make sense...

Geez C4S: Vote #2 for the regular aluminum ball shifter and brake. Why didn't you like the MY 02 version? I've never really felt both back to back so I have no idea which would feel better. I'm simply going on group consensus here and will choose that way. I'm sure I'll be happy either way.

Rob 97 993 C2: Another vote for MY 02 CF. It flew beneath my radar all along, but I do like the look of it. Wish I was in on that group buy - could there be ANOTHER group buy?! What did you guys pay for the combo this summer? Not sure why I want to know this info as it will undoubtedly depress me .

Anyone else?

Steve
Old 12-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve,

I'd go for the alu/leather shifter (first one) for the very reasons David in LA mentions. Also, I think it'll feel better in your hand.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Steve, I kinda like the 'ball' Carbon/Leather Shifter and Handbrake for P93 more than the MY'02 shifter. Are these both plastic or actually aluminum?

BTW, your B-day is Feb 2? Mine is the 3rd
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark. So you prefer the regular, non CF MY 02 shifter? I'll chalk another vote into that bin. You're not a big fan of the CF one instead?

Chris Walrod - So that's the first vote for the "ball" carbon fiber/leather shifter P93. Thanks. Yeah, it looks nice too! Have you used this one by chance or know anyone that had and really likes it? Happy almost B'day too! I'll be 44 going on 18.

Steve
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the "ball" cf shifter and handbrake in my car, also the only cf parts, and I like the look alot. The shifter is a bit scratched (by prior owners) though it doesn't bother me much. The shifter is cool to the touch, which takes a bit to get used to but overall I am happy with the setup.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve,

With all due respect to the many guys who have carbon fiber stuff in their cars, I'm only a fan of carbon fiber if it's functional.

Some people call it gilding a lilly; I call it autoclaving a lilly.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Steve,

I have the Alu/Leather shifter and handbrake in your first picture. I like it better because of the alu and leather combo as I don't have CF any where else in my car. I think it will go really well with you new 3 spokes steering wheel... keep it all leather. Just my .02
Old 12-20-2004, 12:14 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I had the 02 Shifter and brake in my 996 and sold it off to another rennlister b/c it wouldn't fit and I am an idiot and couldn't modify it....I loved that shifter--I would say yes, buy that combo from Gert--and I am going to get the same one as soon as I have a spare $700--If we can get another group buy and get it to around $550 or so maybe it would make me move quicker
Old 12-20-2004, 01:26 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the ball type for sale. The leather was originally boxster red but I painted it with Porsche black surflex. It looks brand new although I can't comment on the longevity of the surflex since I have not actually used this shifter in my car. If you can use one, send me a PM. $100+shipping
Old 12-20-2004, 01:30 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Steve, this is on top of my list for interior mods.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Quick poll: Alu/Leather Shifter & Handbrake vs MY02 alu shifter and handbrake?