Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How many guys use the 993 as a daily car? Is it practical?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:07 AM
prince_ramses
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Thanks for sharing your experinces with your 993s. I'm very excited to hear about how enjoyable the car is for everyone. I'm truely surprised to see the enthusiasm still burning bright with your 993's, especially guys who are driving it everyday. A lot people get bored with their sports cars after 2 years.

I'm looking forward to buy my 993 and will post pics of it once its in my hands.

Prince
Old 12-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Funny situation today. I'm considering getting in the used car business with a friend, and he suggested that I should sell my 2 cars and use the money to pay for the first year or 2 of health insurance in advance as it would be out of pocket from now on, and have some money left over to get me started to start buying and selling cars on Ebay and through dealers. We were looking at my 993 at that time and I said, "well, I could easily sell the BMW as I really don't care too much about losing that, but the 993 I would never sell". He said "Why not? It's just a car... after a while you'll be driving so many used cars it won't matter to you."

I told him that I was emotionally attached to my car and that I would "never" sell it, well, at least for a long time. I told him I'm not really into the newer 911's and just like my old car! He shrugged and said he didn't understand, and that it was just a car.

Yeah - most people don't understand I guess..

Steve
Old 12-19-2004, 01:03 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

There's an old saying that bikers use: "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".
Old 12-19-2004, 05:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

driving my 993 is an addiction.... really, its like smoking cigarettes or something.... except, without the health consequences (assuming you drive somewhat reasonably on the street!)....

as long as there is no weather (rain, snow, ice, etc), I drive it everywhere... never for short distances though at cold start up.... sometimes, I drive it around just to get it warm enough to then stop where I need to go...

so yes its my daily driver, but with a couple of rules === never drive it somewhere close where it wont have time to warm completely, never drive it in any kind of bad weather, wash at least the wheels and undercarriage every weekend...
Old 12-19-2004, 08:24 PM
ingo777
Instructor

Everyday, and I enjoy it!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

Talking Drive Mine Daily

I drive my car everyday. To work, on the weekends, I have a brand New Silverado, that sits. I love my car, and thats what they were built for. I have 77k miles on my 97 TT, and I drive the out it. Never compromise your likes or wants ever....
Old 12-19-2004, 09:37 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive it every day I too have a realatively new truck......gets crappy mileage and looks like every other truck on the road, why bother. But the 993.....'nother world. Drive the car, enjoy the car, maintain the car......isn't that why you buy these things?

BTW - Vince, beautiful car man, have you got the factory wing off that thing still? Looking for something other than the flush automatic moving wing I now have.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:31 PM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought my 97 turbo with around 3K mile, just crossed 141K miles and haven't stopped smiling.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:36 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drive mine daily, rain or shine........After 33 years of Porsches, still can't get enuff,,,,,
Old 12-20-2004, 01:25 AM
D5LV
Advanced

Started out as a few times a week, but currently drive every day due to the fact have not been able to sell my other car and am trying to keep the miles down somewhat. But really, the 993 makes a great daily driver. It makes the trip to work a little easier (mentally), and in a way, it is somewhat practical also. Recent excursion saw myself along with my gym bag, loose golf clubs, groceries, and 7+1/2 foot artificial Christmas tree in the car.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:55 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

btw: not only is my cab my 'daily driver' it's also my therapy and yoga too...

every time i pull my key from my pocket to drive to or from (i escape)... X100!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:10 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

My 993 is my only car and my everyday driver. I'm lucky to not have to sit in ludicrous traffic, especially in Atlanta, but it does have to sit in some traffic. I've put 2500 miles on it in 2 months of ownership and just flogged it for the first time on the Georgia Mountain run--it was solid as a rock on the twisty bits, and started right up today to take me to work after a hard run this weekend. I love the car and plan on driving it until it blows up...the rock chips get bothersome, but hey, it's meant to be driven, not looked at in a garage!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:25 PM
mborkow
Drifting

drive mine 5 days a week (mon - fri) from san francisco to mountain view. that is about 40 miles one way and 46 back (i go home a longer, though more predictable, route). i have done this commute in a few different cars and the 993 is by far the most fun. the porsche (especially with the lwf) isn't really fun to drive in bumper to bumper traffic -- but nothing is-- and so i have adjusted my office hours to try to allow me to commute during "off hours." hard to bring a smile to my face before 6 am, but my 993 manages to do the trick 9 out of 10 times. however, if i were going to be sitting in traffic for hours at a time on a regular basis then i am not sure i would want the 993 and would probably rather have kept my previous car (bigger and automatic).
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't see where you're located, which comes into play. I've driven both my C4s year-round here in the Mid-Atlantic...BUT...

Yesterday, driving south from a superb NY Jets win, was VERY bad and I'm glad I wasn't in the 993. Sheer skating-rink action for several miles on 95, and while few vehicles/tires can deal with ice (as opposed to being rightly equipped for snow), my Desert-Dueler-equipped GWagen pounded it out like Curtis Martin while I spied two of our P-car colleagues inadvertantly...um, "off-roading." That's the exception, though. Rightly equipped (and if snowdrifts etc are not too high for ride height) these cars do well in most conditions.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:34 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Just put mine in the garage for the winter and I am really missing it. I don't think I will be able to hold out for 4 months. I think it will become my winter/ nice day/ car. I am a bit worried about exposing the car to road salt but otherwise, I don't know of a car that is more fun to drive on a day to day basis and can also stand up to the everyday driving like a champ.

Quick Reply: How many guys use the 993 as a daily car? Is it practical?