Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Doors hard to close?

Old 12-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Moose
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Doors hard to close?

OK, Now it is getting old. Is anyone else's doors hard to close? I think they are getting worse (or I am getting weaker). It takes decent force to close my doors on the car. I've checked the search, I've looked at the placement of the door panels, I've looked to see if an arm/leg/coat/cat/dog/ or anything else may be getting caught in the door as I close it but all looks ok.

Are the doors on our cars heavy and require more effort than normal cars or is mine out of whack? Anyone else experience this??

As always, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could there be a problem with the door strap?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:42 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I, too, was having a harder and harder time getting the door to latch shut. I lubed the catch located on the end of the door towards the door handle. If you play with it, you'll see it has 2 distinct clicks when you turn it by hand. I just cleaned and lubed the shaft area where it goes into the door. Doesn't look like lube would help, but it did. At least something for you to try. I used a teflon spray lube called Triflow.

FWIW, it does take a healthy push on my door to get it to close, even before I having my problem.

HTH
Old 12-17-2004, 08:22 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My doors are not hard to close at all, they click shut nicely. If the windows are closed it takes a little more effort, but not a lot. Does the effort on yours change depending on windows open vs. closed?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Moose
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks all. The effort in the door doesn't change much between open and closed windows. I'll try the lube, they close to the first click but doesn't like the second. The checkstrap was fixed 2 years ago and I haven't had any issues but I can't imagine that being the problem as it is closing the door that is the issue (or am I missing something?).
Old 12-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this link. Check strap DIY

I did this DIY just to avoid putting any extra stress on the part of the door that breaks. The only thing I did differently is I used sandpaper on the black tensioner. The procedure discussed reduces the force to open you door. You might want to look into this.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:14 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are hard to close now because of the welded in roll cage. Before the cage though my passenger door was a bit difficult but mostly when the windows were rolled up and the sun roof was closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doors hard to close?