Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Anyone ever put Kahn RSR's on a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front stock offset for Porsche 18" wheels on an NB is 50 to 52, so fitting a 2 or 3mm spacer should solve the problem technically (the legal side is another issue). I also don't see any problems with using a properly engineered spacer whoese dimensions still respect the overall suspension design geometry. Indeed the factory used spacers on many of its models including the 930 Turbo, the 944's, etc. In this particular case it would be an extremely thin spacer that would not even require any stud changes, etc.

Just my two cents...
Eric
Old 12-22-2004, 03:26 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

News Flash - Today I was asked for the VIN and build date, apparently Kahn are sure these wheels should fit my car... HELLO, THEY HIT THE CALLIPERS, sheeech...

Can anyone see anything on my front hub or calliper (pictured above) that is not standard factory equipment for a narrow body 993 Carrera???

This is getting annoying now! It was not meant to be this difficult to buy brand new wheels.

BTW - Eric, you are absolutely right that a correctly engineered spacer will do the trick, but like I said earlier, it is not worth the risk of possibly losing my insurance cover by giving them a reason to Not pay out.

I even have the know how, the material and machinery to make them myself.

Thanks to all of you, I will resolve this.

STAY TUNED...
Old 12-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan;

This has to be frustrating and your absolutely right of course to consider the legal aspect. I assume KAHN does not have wheel with a slightly different offset? Where does it rub exactly (at the top/bottom edge). Very long shot of course, but is there perhpas any play in your caliper mounting bolts?

I think that in the end if you really want to fit these without spacers you may have to look at grinding the caliper very slightly and repainting the spot (dealer may do this at their risk and expense given the circumstances).

Good luck... if and when you get this resolved, they will look great on your car.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 12-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told that Kahn guys think my car has 964 components like callipers or rotors, so I spoke to Porsche Cars Aust and they said it was not likely. I went into my PET parts Catalog and confirmed all 993 Carreras have the same callipers and rotors, but the wheel hub and carrier are 964 part numbers on a 94.

A possible reason for the change in wheel carrier and hub could be the installation of a larger bearing, however the brake rotor and calliper are the same throughout the range.

Different Rotors and /or callipers is the only thing that would influence the position of the inside of the wheel in relation to the brake calliper.

Please correct me if I am wrong but the centre of the calliper has to sit on the centre of the brake rotor cross sectionally, regardless how it is mounted. Therefore, when the wheel is bolted on to the hub keeping in mind that the rotor has the wheel mounting surface on it, the distance between the outer face of the calliper and the wheel mounting face on the rotor is fixed and is not affected by any thing else.

I measured it roughly at 20.2mm. Even the wheels are he same (7J X 17 ET55)

More news as it comes to hand, now here is the traffic & weather....

Last edited by Aussie Alan 993; 12-24-2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:44 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't mean to open up a 16 year old thread....but how in the world do I fit center caps on these wheels? I just bought a car that has these and one of the wheels caps is severely discolored. It looks like the center cap is 2 1/4" which seems to not be a common size for porsche caps whatsoever. These also use some type of actual porsche crest on the outside of the cap with a little screw holding it in the back, but even those I can't find anywhere. About 1 1/4" wide x 1 1/2" long.

Quick Reply: HELP - Anyone ever put Kahn RSR's on a 993?